Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Reserve troubles

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by ginji, May 11, 2007.

1. right, so my GS has a reserve tank of 4.5L (or something like that) and a main tank of 15.5L (so 20L all up). Here's the kicker, the last few times i've filled up my bike i've gone and filled it up with 16-17L at a time, without actually having changed it to the reserve. Now I thought it could have to do with some inaccuracies in the fuel pump, but the same thing has happened to me at a couple of different servos (although, they could all be ripping me off...)

Thinking back, I can pin point this starting to happen when I dropped my bike on the driveway and it started leaking fuel, so I went and got that fixed, but not with my usual mechanic (as the bike was riding very lean, and my usual mechanic was an 80km ride)

I'm going to check the hose routing and make sure everything is going to the right places... Any other ideas?

2. Call me crazy... but I wouldnt be suprised if it was the servo ripping you off.
    I usually put $55 (average give or take a couple of bucks) to fill the car up full but the other day with that amount I only got about 4/5 of the way full. I know the price of petrol changes all the time, but I doubt it would make that much dif. So.. now im bit sus... or crazy.
  3. shit in the fuel tap or a cactus seal
  4. I finally got some time to look at it today, and it seems the hoses were the wrong way around, fixed it up and hopefully that will be the end of it.