Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Reserve tank - does fuel go off?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by jphanna, Jun 13, 2010.

1. People,

this is a newbie question. it may be dumb...but i think its important to know.

i dont know if every bike has a reserve tank, but mine does. Fuel that isnt used goes off eventually. what about reserve tank fuel? if it hasnt been used for a long time, will it be ok if needed. should i run it on reserve till it runs out, and then it will refill with fresh fuel?

2. i've never heard of a bike running a separate tank for reserve, merely using a lower section of the one tank, therefore no fuel won't go off in reserve. when you fill with fresh fuel, it mixes with the older fuel from the last fill up and doesn't present an issue

3. Your reserve tank and main tank are actually the same fuel tank.

There is a snorkel inside the fuel tank which sucks petrol down only to a certain level. To access the remainder you have to switch to reserve, which is actually switching to a lower snorkel inside the fuel tank, which allows the bike to suck down the remainder of the fuel. Chillax. :cool:

4. And some bikes don't even have a reserve tap, just a light to let you know you're below a certain level in the tank. In those cases, there's only one "snorkel" or offtake in the tank... at the lowest point.

5. just for reference... are you the same jphanna from justcommodores?

6. Something like this...

[​IMG]

7. Luke, you have hidden talent.....

8. Yes thats me....