Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Reserve switch over

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by Fiery, Apr 2, 2007.

1. Hi all,

had my first run-out-of-fuel today as I was chugging down a hill. I pulled over to switch to reserve but wondering should I do this whilst I am moving instead?

thanks

2. I think most people do it while they are ridding.

3. Practice it while you are riding, because you can usually feel the miss or struggle of the engine. and besides, what happens if you need to switch to reserve and there is a truck up your hammer? You can brake, but don't expect the truck to be able to stop anywhere near as quick as you.

4. Fiery,

Short answer, YES.

Switching reserve on the move should have been part of your learner course... you should be able to rotate the switch without taking your eyes off the road.

So don't ever chug chug chug again, unless it's at the end of a beer!

5. Sorry - quick hi-jack, seriously...??? My learner place never even mentioned reserve switch once, never mind made us learn how to change it while moving...?

Started to just do it while on 250 after a while but i still used to try and change it and then stop where i could to check that I had for a while until i got used to it and the sv doesnt have reserve - but interested to know if they are supposed to teach you that... :grin:

6. they never mentioned it at my ridersafe (aside from F.I.N.E. where F is "Fuel") however I learnt pretty quick what it feels like to have my bike die on me until I pulled over and switched it to reserve. Only other time I've had to switch since then I did it on the move. Hardest part is really remembering what direction it goes in when you're not really concentrating on it! :)

7. I never got told anything about it at my Ls or Ps. Going over the bike when i got it showed me exactly where the fuel tap was, tricky to get to on the across too. Ive had to switch it 3 times now while riding in peak hour traffic so im glad i studied the bike before riding.
    Make some time and practice reaching down and turning the fuel tap on a quiet road, at least you will know how to do it if the bike runs out of juice in traffic.

8. they don't teach you.. but when your bike starts chugging away you quickly get your hand down there and spin the knob!

9. I think Rob is mistaken - only HART give you the full training when you get your learners. :p Many learners I've spoken to since never had to go through the 'locate and turn fuel-tap without looking' procedure I did at HART. Don't know why, because it's another important skill, IMO.

Ideally do it while you're moving - you won't always get it, but 90% of the time you will. I still get caught occasionally, as the bike will seem fine as you brake for a red light, but as soon as you pull the clutch in, she'll die. :(

10. Hmm, I know Deca make sure you know where it is.

You have to have your eyes shut and do indicators, horn, reserve switch and ignition. :-k

11. I'll also mention that it's a very good idea, if in traffic, or coming up to intersections that will require a fair amount of power to merge etc to switch to reserve, if you think you are very close to reserve.
    Losing power in such a situation could kill you.

REgards, Andrew.

12. I know Ride-Tek in Dandy make sure you know where it is and the easiest way of finding it while riding.

Also when i picked up my bike last week that was one of the things the sales
    guy showed me ...even though he got it wrong and put it on Res ....lol

13. I'm really surprised as it's part of the curriculum - range exercise 3, #8 on the list when going through motorcycle controls. Usually have to clearly demonstrate this as many novices get totally confused and put it in the off or reserve positions in lieu of the other.

Still, nobody's perfectt.

14. Er, I am??

The stayupright course I did made sure we knew how to locate and turn the fuel tap while not looking... maybe they exceeded the minimum requirements that day... not sure why it wouldn't be part of a standard course, it's damn good thing to know!!!

15. I didn't learn about the reserve tap up here in QLD on Q-ride... Not that it matters... my bike doesn’t have one. It's got a fuel gauge. Why a fuel gauge and not a temp gauge... crazy Koreans.

16. In Victoria it is part of the L's test to switch to reserve while looking straight ahead along with indicators, high beam and horn. If Geordielass didn't do it then there's serious questions to be raised about wherever she did her test. :shock:

Firey, yes it's best to switch over while the bike's moving. Practice reaching for the tap while you ride and flicking it over. That way, next time you'll hear the 1st splutter and be able to to flick the switch and keep going as if nothing had happened. :)

17. I have a jap bike that doesn't have either. :? Only has warning lights. The fuel light comes on with 3 litres left. :)

Fortunately I've never seen the "Congratulations, you've cooked your engine" light yet. :)

18. :grin: thanks guys, DECA did get us to do the F.I.N.E thing too - I was in a safe position to pull over as there was no one else on the road and it happened at a bus turnout point. Is it good for the engine then to just practise switching back and forth whilst moving along? if so I will :grin:

19. Reserve tap

I believe you had to know where the switch was located for bikes that have one, but not switch it over whilst riding.
    It doesn't matter if you keep riding and switch over, or come to a stop to switch over.
    A good tip, is to reset your trip meter each time you fill up with fuel, and get familiar with how many km's you get before your fuel runs out, and needs to be switched to reserve. Don't forget to switch back to 'on' after filling if you have used the reserve. :wink:

20. Fiery, I think we'll have a drunken discussion with Jim tonight