Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

rescrubbing scrubbed tyres

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by russ, Mar 4, 2006.

1. it has been many months but finally I have a legitimate motorcycling related question to post.

I rode up to brisbane (from melbourne) in december adn in the process I scrubbed the tyre to the edge.

after that 6000k round trip i couldn't be assed ridign too much and now that the bug is eating at me again i noticed the back tyre. I've been commuting so hte middle of the tyre is still scrubbed but the outside has glazed over. (it had been hot 45+ on return leg to melbourne and I was on the hume)

does the tyre need rescrubbing? or is it all good for grip?

2. It will be all good. Scrubbing is only necessary when gettign a new tyre fitted. It has a slippery preservative applied to it to protect the rubber during storage. You need to take it (any cornering) very easily and smoothly for the first 100km or so to 'scrub' off this preservative stuff.

3. Yeah, russ, you've only been wearing the stuff in the middle, but as soon as you start 'ear 'oling it' again, the outer parts of the tyre will grip straight away. If most of your riding is highway stuff, perhaps you should see at your next change if you can get a tyre that has a hardish compound towards the middle of the tread, but which still gives good grip for cornering.....