Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by rat man407, Sep 4, 2012.

1. anyone on here use one or even heard of one?

2. Heard of 'em.

Think they're one of the most exciting changes happening in the world in this half-century.

Never used one.
  3. Ive looked at 3d printers with interest.
    The problem is even worse than with normal printers = the initial outlay for the printer isnt THAT bad - 1-2k for a small in home version.
    Its the consumables that kill you - looking at $50 plus delivery give or take in australia for a 1kg roll of the plastic. Not sure how much stuff that really turns into :p.

Would still like one though...
  4. Use it to make another one
    Then another
    You program in awareness so
    They duplicate themselves.
    They could network together
    And ultimately becime self aware
    And launch...
  5. 1-2k if your lazy
    i'm build mine and buying parts from where ever is cheap so far around $200 and only really got the eletric stuff left witch is another $300 or so

so i'm looking around $500 in total and i know that $50 a kg is bullshit but 1kg can build a bit
    plus every time i refill my ink printer it cost like $100 so not much differences
  6. the start of skynet ?

plus there can only build about half of them selfs so far
  7. Are you going to make a plastic still?
  8. na would not work

A. it would melt
    B. chemicals would leach out of the plastic

so just not a good idea

and on my copper still it about half way done
  9. Friend of mine swears by her one of these (reflux i think?):
    Also a lazy way but she said a huge kit was only $500. Makes it worthwhile if you drink heaps, but im even lazier than that and just buy it at the bottle shop :p.

Yeah i hear you on refills for toner/ink.
    Might look into it some more, used to do plenty of electronics work im sure i can manage it.
  10. all the plastic on my reprap is about 500-600grams so about $25 for all the plastic to copy 50% of it self

as for the electronics i'm going to leave that to somebody else i'm useless at that
    best place to start it http://www.reprap.org/wiki/RepRap

also with the still the T500 are about $750
  11. Said she got it as a big kit on sale from a homebrew store, beyond that cant speak for it :p.

Righto ill check out the site :).
  12. lol i don't know then

the electrical stuff is not the best if you start from scratch
  13. FWIW it is actually possible. You simply use an immersion heater in a large bucket with a smaller bucket inside to catch the condensate (bit like the old survival trick for extracting water from plants).

If you use the right plastic (like PTFE) then leaching of chemicals is not a problem.

And getting back on topic - does anyone know what polymers are used/can be used with these 3D printers?
  14. Amazing!

My kids or grandkids are going to download a clever design, take it to a mate's mate with a big shed and big reprap machine, and print themselves a house. Then a boat.

Here comes Marx.

and the reprap tax.
  15. Yes, we have one operational, ours is the Mendal generation of design. It is a bit flaky at times but we have consistently built things out of the Thingiverse that other people have designed. Am still getting over the steep learning curve in 3D cad work before designing our own things to make.

Things we have learnt:

Go with the Generation 6 electronics.
    The extruder is a little temperamental and will run for weeks then collapse, there is design improvement that needs to be done there.
    We run it from Linux not Windows so I am not sure how stable the Windows software is.
    Get plastic feedstock from reputable suppliers, feedstock that varies in diameter clogs the extruder and jams.
    Using a heated bed plate improves the print and stops curling issues as the plastic sets.

16. cool thanks will take note of that

the one i'm in the middle of building is a Pursa Mendal pretty much the next step up from yours i'm more the likely going with ramps 1.4 because i can get them easier
  17. Ok, I hadn't seen the latest RAMPS electronics, it looks like it has come on a fair way since we looked at it last. It is a fast moving environment Open Hardware.

Good Luck with the project.
  18. PLA [corn starch based plastic] and ABS are the most common plastics used in open source 3D printers. PLA is non toxic and biodegradable whilst ABS is better for making longer lasting parts that can be sanded and machined.

a few friends of mine have the makerbot and ultimaker machines. they're pretty good for <$2000. but still no where near as good as what an Objet machine can produce.

a couple more years and 3D printers will be very sophisticated and affordable.

the thing that annoys me about the open source ones atm is that there is a lot of fiddling with settings for each print, its not simply plug and play. often hours of trial an error.

still pretty awesome.
  19. have you ever ridden a bike that is just plug and play or have you wanted to upgrade as much stuff as possible on the bike

it is part of the fun
  20. i've rebuilt a few bikes and i know what it is like to have fun tinkering with things, my point was that printing a small part that takes 5mins to model in CAD could take 2+ hours to work out how to print decently. for me, having a 3D printer should mean greater design efficiency.

It's always fun to play around and learn new things, but sometimes i just need a quick solution. each to his own, everyone has different needs.

i like to prototype components quickly, nothing worse than getting bogged down stuck on 1 part of the design process.