Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Reporting of Crash Statistics

Discussion in 'Research, Studies, and Data' started by grange, May 20, 2012.

1. Well that's just ridiculous - it's just raw numbers with nobody's opinion on what actually happened!
    Hell, there's not even a place in that report for me to inject my ridiculous opinions on who was at fault!

Which is probably why we have rules about that sorta thing here...
  2. That's an Ok report - but seriously Grange, can't you ever say anything without a backhand slap in it somewhere?? Sheesh.

The report says Motorcylists are 16 times more likely to be injured than car drivers, but doesn't give any VKT references. Actually the report doesn't give any references! That's not what you call a good report? It does say that the vehicle kilometre estimate is from 2009, but as determined by whom???????????

Anyway, 17 riders died in 2010, but 44 pedestrians died also, however there's no mention of how much more dangerous it is to be a pedestrian than a car driver considering the number of road kilometres a pedestrian does. Shhhhheeeeiiiit man! You wouldn't be a pedestrian for QUIDS!!

This is what I mean about stupid and agenda driven use of statistics. The 16 times message will be picked up and riders will be bashed around the head with it... but pedestrians?? And what about cyclists??

Cyclists recorded 5 deaths. They do a fraction of the kilometres that PTW's do, but where's their statistic???

Are you getting it now Grange, or is that rock still sheltering your brain? Even if an agency doesn't do it on purpose, their blindfolds just stick the boot in and they think it's normal.

They are blind to this anti motorcycling philosophy.

Anyway, here's one of the key tables from the report. Riders look to be in pretty good shape on the raw numbers.

Attached Files:

3. One stat that is interesting is that 4 PTW fatals happened within <60km/h zones, while the rest (13) happened in >60km/h zones. But 10 of the fatals involved another vehicle.

It's the same the world over. Majority of crashes involve another vehicle... but you wouldn't know that based on the line most authorities take.
  4. The whole report is based on various modes of traffic , and the breakup of such, not just motorcyclists, or is that the only thing you can pick up from that.

It's a more than comprehensive report than you will get from any agency here in Aus.

It doesn't need to discuss the hows and whys of accidents, it just lists the numbers. How many reports do you see that break up accidents to stop signs, roundabouts, e.t.c. , none....
  5. You haven't read any BITRE or ABS reports then.

This is a motorcycle forum. What the f'ck focus would you think I would have, given that I'm a rider, when looking at a simple "raw stats without any context" road stats type report?

Truly mate, you're a muppet.

- - -
    Tapatalking loud, saying somethin'
  6. No reference to where the VKT is actually derived from. Given that there are not really any reliable motorcycle VKT figures here or the US or the UK, I don't know that Ireland is any different.

There's nothing in there about motorcycles that's not available locally - what might be useful would be if the following were available for motorcycles not just as a consolidated figure for all road users:
    • Fatal and Injury Collisions Classified by Primary Weather Conditions
    • Fatal and Injury Collisions Classified by Road Surface Conditions
    • Fatal and Injury Collisions Classified by Road Character
    • Collisions Classified by Road Surface Condition and by Occurrence of Skidding
      [*]Single Vehicle Collisions not Involving Pedestrians Classified by Type of Collision

And they obviously have the same belief that you spontaneously crash when you go fast...

You can extract a lot of information nationally from http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/ro...ity_statistics/fatal_road_crash_database.aspx, however given the states are responsible individually for road safety you do better by visiting the individual state websites.