Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Replacing the fuel tap

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by ogre, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Hi tinkerers,

I hope to pick your brains on the following...

Have you ever heard of a faulty (ZZR250) fuel tap flooding the engine to the extent of compression lock?

How often would a vacuum diaphragm fail, where the tap acts like it is constantly in Prime mode?

How expensive is the fuel tap as a replacement part?

Would loose carby jets (eg not secured after an adjustment) be the real cuplrit?

2. I had the same problem on my CBR and it cost me $80 for the part from the wreckers

3. You can possibly get a kit to replace the diaphragm in the fuel tap rather than replacing the whole tap with a s/h unit that could be just as bad.

The float needles in the carby can stick causing the same problem, but they need to be able to source the fuel from somewhere, ie your fuel tap is the most likely culprit.

Price, no idea, call the bike shop.

4. Firstly pull the tap apart and have a look. Chances are there is just a bit of dirt under a seat. There is a spring in there, so be attentive when you pull it apart.

If it is cactus you can get a kit for them. They are not cheap, but the wreckers know this and price their likely dodgy ones accordingly.

Also, I found this a while ago, but I'm not sure if it will fit your bike: http://www.justgastanks.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=21_291&products_id=363