Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Replacing stator for Suzuki Bandit 250 please help!

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by bensr, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Hi Everyone,

I am trying to help a friend replacing the stator for the bandit, got the bolts of with the rattle gun but the broken stator is still stuck. I was told to go to Suzuki dealer because they have special puller to get it off. I was quoted for 2 hours worth of work. Can anyone tell me what type/size puller required? any tips or technique to get it off?

If my questions are not clear please tell me and I could try to post a photo to explain.

Rgds,Ben

2. Rotor puller tool for most bikes is about $30, phone a few bike
    shops and tell them what you need and someone will have it.
    Here is an example of one on ebay (for a Kawasaki, won't fit your bike):
    http://tinyurl.com/3qd2aq

3. Geez thats a bit rich, with cover already off it's about 2mins work, screw puller in tighten centre bolt and hey presto!

Sounds like a rip-off to me!

If you have a paint stripper heat gun (electric) you could try applying gentle heat around centre of rotor and apply slight leverage pressure with a cheap 3-legged puller from Supercheap and it should fall off!

Ozzyfzr

4. $30 from a bike shop, or about $5-$10 from your friendly bolt shop. Just get a hole measurement (Exterior, approximate, and thread pitch/ (Or ask for an Metric-spec bolt), probably likely to be a 1.5 thread (E.G. a M24 1.5 mm thread pitch, where the nominal diameter is 24mm and the distance between each thread is 1.5mm

5. Thanks everyone. I finally got the flywheel out using universal puller from repco. I tried to start the bike but then heard the sound. I opened up the alternator again and found one piece of magnet came loose from stator! Does anyone know special bonding glue I can use to glue it back on?

Thanks again.