Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Replacing regulator for a Honda

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by ad91on, Jun 27, 2011.

1. It's a most common issue, my question is does it matter what regulator unit I replace it with? I know R6 regulators work in Vfrs but can I use any regulator?

Also, where does one get a regulator from anyway?

Thanks in advance.

2. You have several options for sourcing a regulator/rectifier however I would try to get one specifically for your model. If you are willing to wait a couple of weeks, I find honda dealers in the US are pretty cheap for the genuine part.

3. I would recommend Regulatorrectifier.com They are generally better quality than the Honda OEM model and cheaper. They use a similar model for a few ranges of bike so sometimes the mounting holes are slightly out but electrically they come with all matching plugs etc.
  4. I had a look at this site, they only list one honda reg/rec for lawn mowers, is there a trick to their site or is that it?

5. Search under Voltage Regulators link rather than Regulator/Rectifiers or put your bike model number in the Search box at the top.
  6. Thanks Chris, that works.

They are actually more expensive (only by 4 bux) than the US honda dealer I use. For my 03 Blackbird only. They actually have two versions for the bird, one 4 bux and one 44bux more expensive? No real explanation for the difference.

So have you had one from them, how is it lasting?

7. Not on my own bike Karl but I have replaced them on a mates CBR1000RR and another on a VTR1000, 2 years now and no problems. I had replaced the one on the VTR1000 about every 18 months prior to that. They generally have bigger cooling fins and a higher output than the Honda originals. If you run extra load on the bike, i.e. GPS, phone charger, higher power lights it is worthwhile.
  8. Thanks for all the help guys,

I finally had a look at the thing today and it looks like someone has previous paid attention to the regulator as they have rigged up a small CPU fan to cool it (as many with NC24 vfrs have done) so the failure must have been recent. I will be taking the regulator out tonight to inspect it to make sure that it's rooted.

Will probably replace it as a matter of course anyway.

Anyway, I didn't end up getting the regulator out.

I also forgot to mention that the end of my gear shifter SNAPPED OFF when i was riding yesterday... um... I suppose after 22 years of gear shifting it finally got over it.

Are shifters readily interchangable?
  9. Did your gear pedal snap, or the shaft it mounts on? The first is 'readily interchangeable', the second is also, but only after you pull the motor out and totally dismantle it.