Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Replacing rear brake line

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Mouth, Mar 19, 2005.

1. Am replacing the rear brake line on the Firestorm with a braided line.

I've bleed and drained the rear brake, removed the brake line, and replaced with the goodridge line. But when trying to bleed in new fluid, despite pumping the brake peddle for many minutes, the fluid reservoir level doesn't drop and there's no fluid entering the bleed tube.

The metal ring at the end of the brake line has a hole where the fluid enters the brake line. The screw that goes through the metal ring also has a hole. Shoudl these two holes align? If so, how to get them to align when your screwing it in? There appears to be enough space/clearance between the ring and the screw through so that the holes shouldn't need to align.

Any thoughts?

2. I know I'm stating the obvious, but just in case ....

You have loosened the bleed nipple haven't you??

3. What journeyman said (jeez mate.. riclin was soo much easier to type)

Try cracking the bottom connection until you see fluid leaking thru, tighten, then bleed as normal.

No fluid leaking thru... blockage or wrongly fitted.

Does the bike have a front/rear balance system?? if so you may have tripped the valve that stops fluid from leaking from one circuit to the other in the event of one circuit failing.

JJ

4. heheh - JJ - feel free to call me riclin if you'd rather :wink:

5. Thanks guys. Yup, bleed nipple was open and no problems with that.

I had the washers incorrectly set :oops: Had them both at the bottom, instead of one above the metal ring, and one below the metal ring. Corrected, and it bleed fine. Rear's now finished :D

Have drained the front lines and removed them. Now I just have to fit the goodridge's and bleed :D But that will be tomorrow, since I'm off to the Jazz festival 8)

6. Im interested to know how much of a difference the braided brake lines make.. plz tell when you finish :)