Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Replacing lining in a helmet

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' at netrider.net.au started by demuire, Nov 24, 2005.

1. I was suggesting to my navigator (I drive a rally car) that she buy a new helmet, because her old one was rather old and the lining was starting to fall apart a bit. She welcomed the idea, but then found out that Clark Rubber apparently fairly often replace the lining in older helmets. I think they use some sort of impact resistant foam or something, I would guess it is the same stuff that is already in the helmet.

Has anyone else done this before? I would have thought that the lining is a very integral part of the helmet and probably the most important part of the helmet as far as preventing head injuries goes, and I would have thought it would be what really makes a good helmet a good helmet?

2. Sounds massively dodgy to me. I would bet my leftie that it would invalidate the aussie standards certification too.

Justin.

3. I have no idea. But apparently they do it on a fairly regular basis.

Speaking of aussie standards, what do people do when they get their helmets repainted?

4. Out of interest I called Clark Rubber, and it sounds like they don't replace the main lining in the helmet (like, the white foam bit), but they do replace the padding (like the cheek padding etc). Does this sound umm... less dodgy?

5. Yeah, that sounds less dodgy to me :) The soft padding is for fit and comfort, I don't see a problem replacing that.

Justin.