Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Replacing Front Sprocket - Spada

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by dwainz, Dec 1, 2007.

1. HI All,

I have a new Chain and Sprockets ready to be installed on my Spada (it threw the chain off a week ago and scared the F&*^ outta me!)

The old one's are pretty badly worn so that + a loose chain probably contributed to the chain coming off.

Anyways, when trying to remove the old front sprocket I'm finding the shaft/sprocket bolt pretty tight (the bolt holding the front sprocket on) - I don't wanna force it because I don't want to strip anything (Already stripped one of the bolts holding on the guages!!:(!!!!!).

My question is:

Is there anything that I need to consider when removing this bolt???
    I'm going into town to get a proper 14mm socket as I don't want to use a ring spanner (there's not much room anyway)

E.g is it anything crazy like a anti-clockwise thread or something like that, or is there another bolt/nut at the other end of the shaft that I need to attend to?

BTW - I have downloaded that Spada workshop manual that's been floating around but it's missing parts of section 10 which I'm pretty sure is the section I need!!!!

Any help much appreciated.

2. Front sprockets can be a pain.

No real help... but good luck :wink:

3. You need to find a way to lock the sprocket in place. Usually the fitted chain helps, either by then applying the back brake or by jamming something in the leading edge between the sprocket and the chain, to prevent the sprocket rotating any more.

The only alternative is a "rattle gun" (a socket tool powered by compressed air), which will do the job in a flash. If you look carefully at the thread cut into the countershaft I reckon that you will see it is a normal, right hand thread. To loosen, turn anti-clockwise.

Cheers

Trevor G

4. A lot of Japanese bikes use 3 methods to stop this nut coming off
    due to engine power and vibration:

1. a washer with some sort of teeth bent up against the nut

2. a locking device in the nut to increase friction (e.g. nyloc insert,
    or slightly out-of-round thread in the nut)

3. it's on hell-of-a-tight.

All the jap bikes I've owned have had the nut come off
    anticlockwise (normal direction) due to chain being on the left.
    But I've never owned a chain-drive Honda.

5. :WStupid:

Plus someone may have locktighted it on. Also check the thread direction.

Then use a few links of chain up inside the casing to lock it solid.

6. If you do this it is wise to check the casing strength; it is possible to
    break a chunk out of the crankcase by doing this. I normally have a
    friend hold the rear brake pedal and tighten the nut that way, the chain
    needs to be fitted to ensure no rotation of the sprocket.

Also, use a torque wrench to tighten so you get the correct torque. If
    the sprocket or chain comes off while riding, it can be dangerous
    and damaging.