Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Featured Replacing first bike $3k budget

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by Denno, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Morning riders, im up chasing some advice if anyone can help...

I'm still on my baby license in WA (250-650 LAMS) and have been riding an 85 Kwaka EN450 cruiser. I've just got 2,500 for the bike and am looking to buy another bike. I'm a 115kg guy and would rather something a bit bigger than a 250 given the people I ride with will all have their big boys license.

I looked at a 2005 Kawasaki ER-5 with 30k on the clock and took it for a ride. Bike was cold but it felt gutless. Its the best thing besides 250's that I've found (value for money, low km, 450-650cc LAMS etc), though riding it was no more impressive than riding a mates 250 ninja

Is there a restrictor stopping these from accelerating quickly or having their intended power as I was quite disappointed?

2. Can't help u there but no matter what Lams bikes u get they all feel pretty gutless to me as well. For $3k I would look for a hyosung 650 Lams which is restricted and unrestricted it on the sly. Cops will never know. For someone with your weight that's about the only way a Lams bike is going to give u what u need

3. Ever considered a Yamaha XVS650? My mate has one and he's around the same size if not bigger. I ride with him on my Suzuki GS500 and I weigh next to nothing. I can't keep up with him a lot of the time.
    If you're looking for a change of style though I'd recommend the MT07. Great loads of torque. I tested one after my learners and it gave that "oh shit" feeling. Even in top gear

4. But of course price is a bit tough

5. Does it have to be a roadie?

For your budget, a Suzuki DR650, Kawasaki KLR650 or Yamaha XT600 will all have fair grunt and roomy ergos, and if you haven't ever tried one, they can be a lot more fun than you might think.