Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Replacing Clutch Plates

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by rodgerdodger, Feb 9, 2006.

1. I've never done this before but it's something I'm happy to try, especially since changing between 1st and 2nd is becoming something of a lottery. Bascially I'm after any tips on how to make this easier (and anything I should avoid).

I understand the basic process but are there any other maintenance jobs I should be doing at the same time to save myself some trouble later? Any springs that are going to pop out and have me chasing them around for a half hour or more? Just stuff like that from people who have done this before. Or even if someone wants to write up a semi-detailed explanation of the process for me, and others seaching this topic in future.

Cheers.

2. Gidday Rodger here goes

1 drain oil

2 remove kickstarter (if fitted) Right hand fairing etc and foot rests

3 remove clutch cover

4 remove pressure plate ( 6 to 8 bolts with springs underneath)

5 remove cluth plates

6Meausure thickness of plates as per workshop manual and inspect for glazing / warping.

7 remove the notches in the outer clutch basket teeth where the plates fit in not to much you will see what i mean if you refer to the link below

8 Reassemble and its up to you but i would, if using the original springs add a washer underneath them not to many though you do not want the springs to coil bind.

see linky here
    http://www.bikebandit.com/partsbandit/showschematic~dept_id~170667.asp

3.  Top