Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Replacing clutch lever

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by bulby, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Hi all,

I got my first bike today. She's a Suzuki GS500F - so pretty too. Was ecstatic to say the least :D

I decided to take her for a quick spin around the neighborhood. It all went smoothly. I even got to the nearest service road and went up to 4th gear. Then I went back, thought I'd do some slow speed practice. Stopped in front of my house and disaster struck!

The road was slippery from the earlier rain and my left foot went from under me for a split second. Replanted my foot firm on the ground, but it was too late. Bike was leaning a bit to much by then and down she went in slow motion.

Cutting the story short, I got a few scuffs on the left fairing and left front blinker AND snapped my clutch lever!:-({|=

So my question is, how hard is it to replace the clutch lever myself? And where can I get the replacement? Any alternatives?
  2. One more question. I heard shorty levers are less likely to get damaged in a drop. Kinda makes sense, but leverage might be an issue. Anyhow, would shorties be a good idea?
  3. You can either buy them from Susuki dealer or you may be abe to buy generic levers from places selling bike bits.

You may be able to get a second hand lever from VicWreck in Heidelberg if that isn't too far. I know they also have stocks of generic levers. They are cheap but unless significantly cheaper you will probably get it easeir in the city.