Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Replacing CB500X Handlebars

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' started by Cris, Jul 10, 2014.

1. Well, just over a week into CB500X ownership (and riding) I've bent the handlebars. It looks like they should be simple enough to replace myself. But I have a couple of questions:

1. Can anyone offer any decent starting points for where to find the bars? Generic google searches aren't turning up much. Or should I just go through a Honda dealer?
    2. It really does look like it's a matter of just removing all the levers etc from the old bars, removing them, swapping in the new ones and reattaching everything. But if there's any reason I really should be taking it to a shop (or finding a workshop manual), I'd love to know rather than wasting too much time (or doing something unsafe).

2. Easy job mate, do it yourself no prob
  3. That's what I thought, cheers.
  4. Not sure offhand about the grips or locating key. Will be having a close look & measure this arvo if I get time, otherwise the weekend. If there is a locating key, does that mean I'd need an OEM part, or could I just cut/drill something to match? (I have no idea what shape such a key would be or whether the handlebar would have the male or female part).

Thanks for the link! Looks like they ship from the US which would take more time than I'd want, but searching for Renthal bars turns up plenty in Aus.
  5. If you have a Friendly Local Bike Shop, they should be able to get you what you need (even if they have to order it in, which should take a couple of days to arrive). Note that Renthal bars have an unusual internal diameter, so you may have to get new barends to match.

EDIT: Oh, and earlier this year I bought some stuff from Motorcycle Superstore. They seem to charge a flat $60-something for delivery, but it arrived within a few days as I recall. Could be worthwhile if you've got other bits you would like to get (new muffler, for example), but I think you'd be better off buying local if you only want bars (I think I paid a bit under $70 for Renthal bars from Bikemart [a localish place]).
  6. @коннор: thanks. As it happens, my friendly local Honda dealer has found the OEMs are only $30 (they were as surprised as me). So I've ordered those as I know everything should fit with no hassle.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Struth I need to buy a Honda
  8. Yeah, crazy low price, eh? The guy at the shop said they keep being surprised at low parts prices for the current CB500 models. Convenient for me if I carry on riding mine into postboxes ;)
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. :-O

Hmmm... only thing I can think of in an attempt to make 'em all the more appealing to newbes -- if someone hears from one friend that, say, a GS500 cost $XXX dollars to fix up, but another friend with similar damage to a CB500 only paid $XX, I can see it having an impact.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. I think it's more to do with being a world bike (high volumes) from Thailand (low cost production).

Things like bars and levers are frequently damaged in SE Asia low speed drops.
  11. Good point. I know pretty much nothin' about the model, so I didn't even realise it was being made on the extra cheap.
  12. Certainly contributes to the CB500X's usefulness as a LAMS bike.