Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Replacing cables, fuel lines etc

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by krabi, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Hey folks,
    did the search thingy on here trying to get answers but they're scattered all over the place, so I've gone for the lazy option.
    Anyhow, in my Haynes manual it says to replace all my brake lines and fuel lines after 4 years (for my 2000 GSX750F). Now I bought this bike second hand a month ago with 26k on the clock and it was well maintained by the previous gentleman owner. Regardless, I will change these things.
    I had a chat with a bloke at motorcycle shop on the NSW Central Coast and he mentioned that when he bought his Bandit a few years back, he declined the Givi top box but exchanged it for different brake lines etc as he said he wanted it to be more responsive.
    So my question, should I buy stock brake lines and fuel lines or go to different after market types such as braided ones etc?
    All I do is commute and go on the occasional tour, I'm no track day fiend either. Is it worth my while, considering I'm not into precision type riding? If so, what brands should I consider in replacing these things.
    By the way, a ball of string is twice half its length.

2. I know i'll probably get flamed for this but anyway...

Personally unless they are physically worn or damaged i wouldnt bother replacing either brake or fuel lines for the type of riding you do.

I know it's acknowledged that brake lines can deteriorate from the inside and can swell over time and reduce braking efficiency, and you **could** change them over to braided lines if you felt like it, and it wouldnt be a nice thing to have a fuel leak occur without notice due to a cracked/dodgy hose but in reality the majority of bikes that are out there on the road would not have their fuel or brake lines replaced every 4 years and they are fine, brake and fuel lines last a long time.

If you are worried have them inspected by a qualified bike mechanic, if they think they need replacing, replace them, if not leave well enough alone.

Having said that: I've found from personal experience that braided brake lines are worth the effort/expense of changing over to, check out http://www.helperformance.com.au/ for reference if you like, they are ADR approved and should do the job nicely.
  3. :rofl: My bike is 28 years old & counting, still original!

Still, it brakes like a very heavy brick that doens't brake well, but that's hardly the brake lines fault. & I've got the twin disc model!

If you are bothered to replace them, braided line won't hurt, they will last longer because the rubber is not exposed to the air, but I doubt you will fell any significant improvement. You may, however, feel your wallet significantly lighter. Not that rubber OEM lines will be cheap...

jbonevia is on the monet, HTH.

Edit: That_________/\ is a spelling mistake but it still works!
  4. I feel kinda self concious now :oops:
    I've had a good look at them all and everything seems fine. Maybe I'll waste my money on other stuff, like stuff, you know walk in to the bike shop and buy stuff. :-k I suppose it would be good for the economy!
  5. My brakes were always a little spongy, no matter how much I bled them they wouldnt lose that last little bit of spongyness. I could see the brake line expand a bit when I squeezed on the lever, and the manual says to replace the brake lines every 2 years or so (i think). I replaced it with a braided line, just took my old one to Enzed, the price is fairly reasonable. I noticed the difference, but im not sure if it was because it was braided or because I had replaced the old one.

I suggest that you inspect all your parts, and replace anything that you have a problem with.