Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

replacing bolts with stainless?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by coastdude, Jun 24, 2011.

1. I'm finding it easy with the net, and the bolt shop down the road to replace almost any bolt or fastener on my bike with a stainless one. Its instantly gratifying and doesn't cost much if you do it bit by bit. Am I risking any adverse reactions between stainless and alloy parts? Will this replacement from the original, ultimately detract from the value of my classic bike (Pantah 600) or add to it? Looking forward to hearing your views. Andy

2. Should be fine.
    May I suggest replacing them with hex-key bolts? Much better than hex heads.
  3. nails anybody?
  4. In theory, yes, but if you use a nickel based anti-seize compound you'll be fine. Copper based ones are supposedly a no-no in this situation although, in my experience, they're better than nothing.

Also, beware replacing stuff like caliper bolts with plain old 316 stainless (which is what most generic stainless bolts seem to be made of). It's probably as strong as the cheesy rubbish so beloved of the Japanese manufacturers but if you replace a proper 8.8 or 10.9 grade bolt you may regret it. HT stainless does exist but I wouldn't have a clue where to get it.
  5. Don't use Stainless bolts in suspension or steering.They break.:nopity: