Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Replacing a Speedo Driver

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by dane75, Oct 8, 2008.

1. About three weeks ago I took my bike in for a major service and asked for them to fix a broken speedo at the same time. When I picked it up two days later everything else bar the speedo was done and was told they had trouble getting a cable for it (Kawasaki ZXR250c) and to bring it back when they had the cable to fit it.

They got a cable in the following week and took the bike back to get it put back on and then they said it's actually the driver (cable didn't spin when held in place and pushing the bike). Reckons he would find a second hand one. Another week has passed since and they still don't have it.... and I still am riding around to and from work with no bloody speedo.

How hard is it to replace a driver? If it's not tricky I will get a cable somewhere myself and just get it over and done with. I am not very mechanically minded but was able to replace a broken brake lever myself. Would this be just as easy or a bit trickier?

Also what are my chances of finding one to suit my bike new/secondhand. I live in country vic so there is no stores or wreckers here which stock them.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks
  2. After a short while on the phone this morning I managed to get onto International Motorcycle Importers. They had a ZXR250c in for wrecking and are sending me a cable and speedo driver out in the post. All up it has cost me $100, more than what it would have been if I could have gone to wreckers myself but still less than a fine for speeding unknowingly.

Now I just have to work out how to put the bloody things on when I get them.
  3. good job spending 100 bucks on something you could of gotten for 15 :p
  4. no, morbo, you didn't read his post; the problem wasn't the cable but the gear on the wheel that drives it....
  5. [​IMG]You rang...? What? What's up?

Oh, nah that wasn't me mate, you're chattin with quantocks, not Morbo :wink: :LOL:

...back to sleep then...

[​IMG]pffttt ... now who isn't reading posts properly...lumpin us all together just coz we both ride NSRs...who does he think he is...I don't go getting him mixed up with edgelett just coz he rides a hornet...what is the world coming to?...[​IMG]
  6. :oops: Weeelll, one of you get a different avatar, c'mon, give us old guys a break :LOL:.
  7. You're getting a used cable and driver. I'm not sure that's worth paying money for.

When I bought a new speedo cable for my cbr250rr (the needle was unsteady and flicking around), the old cable didn't have any visible wear on it. It just spun *slightly* less smoothly, probably worn on the inside. This caused the speedo needle to jump around on the very bumpy highway. The replacement cable cost me $18 as a new genuine part, and solved the problem. The speedo drive had some wear on it, although I didn't bother replacing it. For my bike only costs about $8-$10 new, should be similar for a kawasaki.

If you replace the cable with an old part, you run the risk of getting a bad cable. If you get an unsteady needle, the cable's bad. imo try and source a new cable.
  8. Most Kawasakis use a pressed metal plate with tangs on it to engage teh speedo drive with the wheel. Be sure that these tangs engage properly when the wheel and axle is reassembled to teh forks, as it is very easy to flatten the tangs and have no speedo drive.
    I bet the original failed in this way after being worked on....
    I've never seen one strip gears.

Regards, Andrew.
  9. thanks for the advice, I'll make sure it all goes back carefully. Hopefully the replacement parts are decent
  10. I've handled 30+ year old Kawasaki speedo drives that were perfectly serviceable, you should be fine.

Regards, Andrew.
  11. Finally got the part in the mail today after it was meant to have been posted last Friday.

Wrong part! was off a ZXR250A not ZXR250C and the axle diameters are different so they are sending a replacement out at no cost, I just have to send theold one back when I get the new one..... not happy, another week without a speedo now bugger it all

On a good note though I did finally get my tinted visor in though so no more sunnies under the helmet