Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Replacing 95 zx6r rear shock, go newer?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Sheeth, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Hey guys, need a new rear shock for my track bike, I'm thinking of putting a 98/99 rear shock on instead.

Anyone know if it'll fit?

So thats a 98 zx6r rear shock in a 95 zx6r.

Thanks guys,

2. Trevor Manley or Stewart at SW may be able to rebuild and setup/revalve etc to your existing shock...????
    better than just replacing it, you would end up with the suspension tailored to your riding...
  3. Not a bad idea mate, who what where? In melb??
  4. Thanks dude, email has been sent
  5. He's already got back to me, sounds like the kind of guy I'd like to do business with but he's mega expensive! He wants 200 bucks for a basic service and 750 for a full upgrade and rebuild, for our budget track bike its just too much,

Thanks for the suggestion though mate, it was a really good idea!
  6. Just thought I'd update.

Ended up fitting a WP shock of a 98 zx6r. Some modification was needed, drilling for a bigger bolt on the shock and cutting down a flap on the frame. I also needed to buy a new top bracket for the smaller bolt size on the top.

All in all it wasn't to tricky and make a remarkable improvement, in fact the rear end is almost the only thing on the bike that feels really good.

Thanks for the advice guys!
  7. Well done on making it fit Sheeth :)