Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Replacing 05 GS500 Engine

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by PranK, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Hi Guys,

My mechanic has advised me that my small end bearing is gone. There was a slight rattle at 4k under load but it sounded so much like a mirror bolt or something that I didn't take much notice of it.

Anyway, the bike is still running, I am riding it daily, but obviously the engine will need to be replaced or pulled down to replace the bearing, rod and piston (my mech gave me a guestimate quote of $2k).

Now, I am quite mechanically minded, I have done a lot of work to my cars over the years and I have found a GS500 engine for $1k. I am thinking of pulling it out myself and replacing it over a weekend.

Am I kidding myself? Is it not as easy as it seems? Surely it can't be that difficult, there is really not much to it. I can take pics and do a write up if anybody is interested also.

THanks guys, any advice will be much appreciated.

2. Um the only advice i can give is that I had an '02 motor installed in a '93 chassis for $1200, and that the oil sump had to be modified somewhat. Not sure exactly why, though. Maybe try looking around some wreckers for a recent write off that you can salvage a cheaper engine off? My new motor only had 4,000km on it!

Hope that helps some how.

3. Hi Mitch,

Thanks for the reply.

$1200 is bloody cheap. I have been given 3 quotes for engine alone above $1500. I found this one for $999, I liked it also because its within 4,000 k's of the dash milage (24,000 on the dash).
  4. The problem with buying a replacement engine is that you don't know how that engine has been treated, or if it's even the original engine from the donor bike...

Having an engine rebuilt by a qualified mechanic might just be worth the extra 1000 for the piece of mind, but I guess that's up to you. Depends on the budget I guess, & how long you want to keep the bike. If I had the choice, I would be more inclined to buy a bike with a rebuilt engine than a bike with a replaced engine.

Good luck! :grin:
  5. its a piss of piss dude.
    go for it.
    and 1200 is cheap aswell from a wrecker.
  6. its a piece of piss to do it dude go ahead.
  7. You might want to also check out the GS500 forums at http://gstwins.com/gsboard/

Plenty of info from people who have rebuilt their own engines, and replaced engines with ones from a later model etc.
  8. What he said /\
    Should be easy enough to do the change over a weekend, apparently its a bit of a wriggle to get it in and out of the frame and you'll need a helper for that bit. The rest is common sense if you have mechancal ability.
  9. multiple post
  10. Another, sorry!
  11. I replaced the engine in the SV myself. You need a little help with the lifting, but the actual replacement was simple.
  12. There are always many ways to skin a cat with dropping the motor in/out. With mine, I either raise it into place with a trolley jack, secure one mount, and then swing it up. Or, depending on how stripped down the bike is at the time, sit the motor on a bike stand, and lower the frame down onto it by hand.

At all points in the process though (until you've done it a bunch of times), be clean, organised, think as you're going, take some photos. You'll be right.
  13. A second opinion could be much cheaper :wink:
  14. Wow, a lot of replies, thanks guys.

I'll try to answer everything;

How did it die at such low kay's? No idea. I think the problem was there when I bought it but can't be sure.

Rebuild or Replace? Well, I'd rebuild if I planned to keep the bike, but its just to get me through my P's (up in Oct) and while the bike will probably run this long, I don't feel comfortable selling it to somebody when I know there is a problem.

Second opinion? Yeah will get one before I make a choice.

Thanks for the replies!
  15. How sure are you that its the little end bearings? GS500s (mostly early ones ) used to get rattly in the top end, but it was usually camshaft end float and wasn't really a problem apart from the noise.
  16. Personally, I'm not sure either way. My mechanic said that it was that.
    It only occurs around 4200RPM - 4800RPM (ish) and under load. Won't do it in neutral regarless of revs.