Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Replacement key for Yamaha w/immobiliser chip?

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by dryfter, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Hi,
    Does anyone know of an online store stocking replacement Yamaha keys, that contain the immobiliser chip?

I have the master (red) key, so can program them myself, but just need to get the blank from somewhere.. The blanks on ebay don't have the chips in them though :(

2. Ace locksmiths in St Kilda have an ad in AMCN saying they can duplicate bike keys.
    might be worth a look
    9534 0586
  3. Contacted Yamaha Aust. recently. They said that keys can be obtained from any dealership but cost $69 uncut. If you lose a red key prepare for the worst. You can't copy any more black keys and replacement (including new ignition and immobiliser system) will cost $1,713 (not including dealer charges, freight and installation). Ouch!
  4. You can send you ECU to Ian @ Moto Matrix in Spain. http://www.motomatrix.co.uk/
    Thy reprogram the Ignition system lock out and send you back your ECU and two blank Master keys for 220 pounds. Not a bad deal.
    I think with the R1's you need to send the ignition block as well.
    Any bike past 2004 is the same deal. And they don't put the key cut # under the fuel cap anymore either.
  5. Yeah! It's a bit rich for just a key.. I've seen Honda HISS keys for USD$20 online, so was hoping to pick up a Yamaha one for a similar price, rather than the dealership rip-off..
  6. Yeah the red key thing is brilliant, unless your an unlucky sod who bought a bike and didn't realise it was an Issue, oh wait, thats me.