Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Replacement Grips VTR250

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by BradleyFutter, May 29, 2009.

1. Hi there, I'm a long time reader, first time poster.

I was after some help or information from anyone that knows of any good aftermarket grips for a VTR250? I don't even know any brands to 'google'. Mine are getting pretty shot now, and need replacing.

Any info is good info,

Thanks,
    Brad

2. Just go into the nearest motorcycle shop and they should have a wall of rental grips. Any 7/8ths should work. Spray your handlebars with hairspray before putting them on, and try putting the grips in some boiled water first to soften them up.

3.  Top
  4. Don't get the heated grips!

I'm sure they're good. And I'm sure they do wonderful things for your long term comfort on the bike.

But it seems those who have them can't buy a bike without them. I don't miss the things, and do some long distance riding on my bike at all hours. But you'll be forever spending $300 or whatever on the bloody things.

5. jeez, you might not like them for yourself, but at least be accurate about the cost; try $129.

6. Well, that's not so bad.

But the 120 could vastly improve your riding experience by getting a laminated, signed picture of me.

7. pfffttt I had one of them in my breast pocket, right next to me heart, it was, the last time I crashed; didn't do me a bit of good :LOL:.

8. Ha! You're still here Hornet, aren't you?

9. Thanks for the info all...

The heated grips look cool, but nothing a good pair of winter gloves wont fix...

Ive got progrips on my bike now, wouldn't mind getting the same ones again just have to find a shop that stocks them. Im in Sydney (Epping).

Had a quick look around sydney city at lane cove and couldnt see any, maybe i wasnt looking hard enough, I didnt have much time to spare.

10. Heated grips wear out too. ;) Mine need replacing as they've worn right down. What's the cost of getting just a normal set of cheap grips that do the job? Or can you buy replacement grips for the Oxford heated grips or do you have to buy the whole kit again? Hmm..will find out..

11. I ended up getting a set of progrips from MCAS (Auburn) for about $25, cheap as I was surprised. Only issue now is, I'm not 100% on how to get the old ones off and new ones on???

12. I rang the distributor today, and YES, you can buy the grips on their own.

13. All you need is a stanley knife and some hairspray. Use the knife to cut the old grips off (no need to cut right through the rubber though, once you have made an incision you can just tear along the cut). Then apply hairspray to the bar, some inside the new grip, and wiggle it on. Allow a bit of time for the hairspray to set and your done :grin: