Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

replacement battery

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' started by Biker Fred, Jun 11, 2013.

1. where is best place in Melbourne to get a battery. Anyone heard of lithium motorbike batteries?

2. #2 cjvfr, Jun 11, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
    Motorcycle stores are surprisingly competitive in pricing for batteries. Battery World is another option. Its a franchise system I think so some stores are very knowledgeable and helpful other not so much.

I have not had any long term experience with the Lithiums, one of the members here is running one on his CB450 restoration bike I know. They are lighter and smaller for the same energy levels.

If you are on the Northern side of town http://www.batterystop.com.au/ has just opened up, they have Lithiums and standard motorcycle batteries. Haven't used the company though so I don't know what they are like.
  3. Yep thanks, been there before they are pretty good. I thought there might be a Netrider member in the battery game
  4. Try these guys.
    Bought 2 batteries from them. They're lithium-ion and should last more years and go through more winters than the standard lead-acid batteries.

They weight less than half the weight and put out more than 1.5 times the CCA power. I've done multiple start-ups in the garage, in low temps. Worrying about the bike cranking up is a thing of the past for me.

A bit dearer than lead-acid. To their credit, I've received both batteries within 3 days of placing the order.. and they're aussie owned too.
  5. Good one, i read a review on a mag on lithium battery and they were impressed.
    Just checked it out, will cost $289.00.
    Bit rich for me
  6. I have also bought a couple of Shorai batteries, about a year and a half ago.

Both have performed well, so far.

They are very light compared to old fashioned lead/acid and, when I left my bikes for three months, there was no dramas about restarting them.

I bought mine from :- http://www.shoraipower.com/ and, when I got them, the Ozzie dollar was worth serious money, so they didn't seem that expensive.

Delivery time was 4 and 5 days from the US.

Are they indeed Ozzie owned?
  7. Yes sir..

shoraipower.com - US
    shoraipower.com.au - NSW somewhere near Byron Bay. Speak to Michelle or Chris.
  8. i bought one on ebay not lithian it was a gel
    type , was cheap around $100 .
    that bike sat over 6 months and starts np
  9. Thanks guys, i will have to get my act into gear weekends coming up
  10. I've had one in my Daytona 675 for a couple of years now. Was less than $200 in Oz when I bought it. Very light, thought it was a joke when I first picked it up!
    Very happy with it. Holds its charge a lot longer (started first pop after bike sat there for 3 months - adds say it will last a year and still start).

Ducati's Lead/acid Yuasa battery just died after only 2 years so just bought a shorai for that as well. As advertized, it does "crank" the engine faster for easier starting. I'm a convert to them! The weight saving is good and the fact that in a crash you don't need to worry about it leaking acid is great. Ideal for riders who do track days! If they last 10 years as the marketing suggests, its a lot cheaper than lead/acid as well.
  11. What bike was the battery for, Fred?

I know that the "correct" battery for my Triumph was much cheaper than that, and, while slightly more expensive, the battery for my BMW was also a lot less than $289.

Both required considerable packing being added to fill up the existing battery box.

I did use their "find a battery" thingy, looking for a battery for a Gilera 180 Runner, and it came up with what looks like their top of the line $289 battery.

I took the size from their spec sheet of the suggested battery, and it wouldn't fit in the Gilera's battery box, so I suspect their "find a battery" thingie has some problems, perhaps for more peculiar machines, and just defaults to the biggest they have handy.
  12. The battery is for Aprilia Falco V Twin 1000. Suggested Battery was supposed to be common type which would suit. Grouse bike. Even so I will probably go acid dont see me keeping it for another 10 years:)
  13. Ballistic lithium batteries, 8 cell is for something like 400cc-1000cc bikes weighs just under 800 grams 3 year warranty around $200 dollar mark
  14. Thanks Dylan