Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

replaced the battery

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by ceebee250, Mar 6, 2006.

1. I bought a new battery about 2 months ago for my 250. I bought a charger and charged it overnight. It worked fine the first time, but ever since then I find that I always have to clutch start the bike. Once the bike is going, its fine.

Its like the charger has done nothing at all. Does anyone have any advice for me?

2. You alternator might be playing up so it's not charging the battery when you're riding the bike.

Do you put the charger on it every night??
  3. No, I have only charged it twice. The first time, the green "charged" light came on after a couiple of hours, so I took it off charge. When I saw the bike wouldn't start normally, I put it back on charge for a full night. But the problem still exists.

Last time I had it on charge was over 2 weeks ago now. (I don't ride very regularly).

Sorry if this sounds stupid, but who would I take it to to check the alternator?
  4. You can do it yourself if you can get hold of a multimeter - borrow one or just by a cheapo one for less than 10 bucks. Then with the bike running check the voltage across the two battery terminals. If things a are working properly you should get a voltage between 12 and 14 - less than that and the alternators stuffed, higher than that and the voltage regulator's faulty. If voltage is good then chances are the battery's the problem.
  5. Also, some voltage regulkators can have a failure mode whereby they leak battery power back into the wiring.
    Try charging the battery on teh bench, and leave it for a week. If it holds charge, you have a bike problem. If voltage drops to 10v, you have a dud cell.
    A battery hydrometer is another good tool to get, it will tell battery state of charge by specific gravity of the electrolyte. You may even have a dodgey charger.

Regards, Andrew.
  6. Easy way to check alternator is to find the plug to the regulator/rectifier. Look for 3 wires the same colour -Hondas usually yellow. Connect a 12 volt globe to each of these wires in turn. Each should make the globe glow bright as. If this checks out the problem must be further down the line, regulator etc.