Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Repairing Punchures

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by blaringmike, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Hi all,

After rolling my R1 out of the garage this morning I found it had a dirty big nail through the back tyre.

So I took it off and went down to the local motorcycle shop and asked them if it was repairable. They said it was and they are currently plugging it now.

So my question is, how reliable will the tyre be now? Do many people repair their tyres from puntures? I was thinking of getting it replaced just to be safe but its basically a brand new tyre(<1000kms).

So what are people's experiences with tyre repairs?

2. Professional plugged repair of a simple nail hole?

Pay the man the money and enjoy riding on your repaired tyre. Unless you're very unlucky you don't need to give it a second thought.
  3. The only time you get into trouble is it it is a "big hole" or if the hole gets near or on the sidewall. Small nail hole in the middle is no problem.
  4. Thanks for the replies. Sounds like it should be OK.

Its just a nail hole right in the middle of the tyre. About to go pick it up shortly.
  5. Can someone explain how this plug thing works.

Do they just push it in or is it glued/fastened?
  6. A proper plug is a mushroom shaped thingy, glued into the hole with the head inside the tyre so it's mechanically located against the prevalent forces from the rotation of the tyre. This is what you'll be getting if the shop aren't out and out criminals.

The sort of plugs that are used in roadside emergency repairs don't have a head and are pushed in from outside the tyre and glued in place. In theory less secure (which is why the manufacturers put all sorts of restridtions and disclaimers on them) but I've not heard too many reliable accounts of catastrophic failure so they seem to be generally OK.
  7. If you know how to get the tyre off the rim it is pretty easy to repair them yourself. Check that there are no cracks in the casing radiating out from the puncture spot -then glue on the chunkiest heavy duty patch you can find. Inside the tyre. Doh. Works a treat.
  8. Mushroom plugs work fine in small holes and should last as long as the tire, Road side repair plugs are for emergency use only and you can only travel at 60km an hour to avoid pulling the plug out..
    The general rule of thumb is this ....Repair a tire with mushroom plugs if the user is a slow to medium rider that doesnt put to much presure on his tires and the hole is small and central ,Do not plug tires for fast hard corning riders in soft compound tires as it may get torn out ..