Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Repairing pitted, rusted forks

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by thecptn, Apr 9, 2008.

1. I have a side project going on at the moment, and this old bird has got some nice pitted forks, with spot rust thrown in for good measure, I cant seem to find any second hand replacments at the moment, so im going to have to repair them, they are not damaged physicaly, how much am I looking at here? any good places in Sydney any one would like to recomend? if its gunna cost a lot, id rather just try and find a pair that are second hand..any way, cheers.

2. http://www.quikpage.com/F/frankmain/

Frank's the man. If the forks are pitted they are damaged physically.

The holes or pits need to be filled, smoothed and then chromed. Cost you more than a new set from Frank.

Trevor G

3. I've got an article somewhere that describes a cheap alternative - basically just involves sanding the forks smooth, filling with epoxy (I think), then fitting a set of rubber gaiters like those used on bikes before chroming became popular.
    Obviously not something that would work styling-wise on some bikes though.

4. Nor is it likely to let the seals keep the oil inside...

Trevor G

5. Obviously you'd sand them smooth again after filling with epoxy. Done right it should be just as smooth a surface as chrome, it just won't protect the metal as well (hence the gaiters).

6. I'll plus one that, if you can smooth them on a lathe, you can get the roughness factor quite low (given the operation cost)

However, gaiters will still have moisture ridden air circulating thorugh them. (through the vent holes)

7. Done properly, I've seen it work well. Doing it properly does entail a fair bit of work rubbing down and then polishing the epoxy with ever decreasing grits of wet and dry though.

I always coated the inside of mine with grease so that the fork legs were constantly wiped with goop.

Never had a trace of corrosion in spite of riding knackered old bikes on salt coated roads.