Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Repairing damaged thread for bracket?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by duncan_bayne, Sep 5, 2011.

1. My Mito came over all tired today and decided to have a lie down on top of my Land Rover (I'd like to have a chat with the person who invented suicide stands ](*,)).

No damage to Rosemary the Land Rover, but the Mito's LHS fairing (& mirror) bracket broke off, destroying the thread to which it's usually bolted. Essentially a large chip has broken off the metal containing the thread, such that only the front half of the thread survives.

My first thought was a thread insert, but the problem is that the raised surround in which the thread normally lives has actually been broken off. That surround is specifically shaped to take the bracket, then the bolt goes through the middle to hold it all together. Sodding Mito ... nothing on that bike is normal (even the indicators are odd bolt-together jobbies).

So I'm thinking that an easier approach might be to just grind down the raised surround, tap and fit a helicoil, and get the local fabricator to make me a really simple bracket (the Mito's bracket is Y-shaped at the base with almost no room to turn the allen key needed to tighten the bolt). I'm not concerned with originality as she's basically a track bike these days, and I'd actually be glad to get rid of the Y-shaped bracket (might do both while I'm at it).

Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing that they'd care to share?