Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Repaired tyre puncture

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by DanielBrissy, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Hi guys, just a question in relation to tyre punctures.
    Got my first a couple of weeks ago. Nail straight through the middle of the rear tyre. Luckily it must have happened close to home as i noticed the bike was doughey and soft in the rear only a couple of corners from my driveway.
    Pumped it up, it stays up long enough, and it it went down slowly, so it was a relatively slow leak. Rang and spoke to Marty at Top Gun Yamaha Ipswich, he said "bring it in and we'll look at it, i cant tell you till i see it if i can repair it or you may need a new tyre". Then he said "if i can patch it up, you can only go a max of 130kph"
    Pumped it up and took it in, the following saturday morning, Marty wasnt there, some young dude who looked like he was fresh out of high school or something, turnes out he patched it up with a puncture repair kit and i didnt need a new tyre after all. My qn is, Marty said dont exceed 130kph, but that was before he knew if it could be repaired or not, but when the young fella repaired it, he didnt say anything. Can anyone shed any light on this for me. Is it a safety issue?? The tyres are the original standard bridgestones, done about 6200km now. Im not one of those tear away weekend warriors who flies around everywhere at a million miler per hour lol, i am on a lams bike afterall, but i often cruise on 120-130 on the back roads.

2. #2 jag131990, Feb 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    6k .. on originals mate you should of got a new set. Id say they've done their job even if their life ended prematurely.

On another note I don't like the sounds of the warning he gave you. Take no chances
  3. Depends on whether the repair was done properly with a mushroom plug from inside or if it was done with one of the rubber string "get you home" kits from the outside.

If the former, I'd just ride on it as normal. If the latter you should either be replacing the tyre or at least getting a proper mushroom plug repair done as soon as poss. Many people have ridden long term on "temporary" repairs and been fine, but it's not recommended.
  4. Personally, and everyone has a different view on this, it wouldn't worry me. Centre of tyre, repaired - just ride but keep an eye on it.

It ain't going to 'pop'.
  5. As the other posters advised, there are two ways to repair a punctured tyre.

The first is to repair it from the outside with the standard kind of repair kit you can get from most auto stores. This involves first enlarging the hole, then shoving a sticky "wick" into it, with a bit of the glue provided, and then cutting off the excess with a razor blade. The process takes about ten minutes, requires no special skills or tools, and is easy to perform on the side of the road.

All such repair kits advise clearly on the packaging that the repair is strictly temporary. The idea is that it can get you home so that you can replace the tyre or perform a permanent repair. However, some riders will treat these kind of repairs as permanent, finding that they outlast the lifespan of the tyre. For example, I ran a plug in my last rear tyre for about 2000ks before I just now replaced it. Others will maintain that they are unsafe.

The other way to repair a tyre is designed to be permanent. The mechanic removes the tyre from the rim and patches it with a mushroom plug from the inside. It's safer than plugging the tyre from the outside, but requires more time and mechanical know-how.

No reputable mechanic should ever repair your tyre from the outside with standard, wick-type plug, even if they, like me, are willing to ride permanently on one. As I stated, the manufacturers of these plugs insist that they are temporary. The reason you would take your bike to a mechanic is so that they can get your wheel and tyre off and do the job properly. From the fact that the young gentleman (could be inexperienced) said that he used a "puncture repair kit," I worry that this is what happened. "Puncture repair kit" sounds like an external wick-type repair, but you would have to call them to find out for sure.

To answer your specific question, both forms of tyre repair will introduce a limit on the maximum speed the tyres can safely handle. But don't take my word for it. You should really call Marty for confirmation.

Edit: there was a thread recently in this forum about a dodgy puncture repair being linked to a rider's death. The details were unclear, so it was difficult to tell what hand the dodgy repair had in the accident. I do remember that the repair was done too close to the side wall, though.
  6. I've had mine repaired (proper repair, tyre off etc) it's good for much more than that.

Only problem might be if the tyre becomes unbalanced due to the extra weight, but you could get them re balance the tyre afterwards.
  7. Thanks for your help and advice guys, much appreciated! He took it off, and the bike was there for a couple of hours, so he must have used one of those "mushroom plugs". But yeah i might give him a ring to be sure. Doesnt look like ill be riding anywhere for a while, this rain can bugger off anytime it wants lol
  8. I've done 2,000+km on three separate punctures. Not had a prob to date. I regularly ride freeway speeds, too.
  9. Wouldn't you farking know it...

I took yesterday off (Monday) and decided to take a ride down to Kangaroo Valley and back up via Robertson. About 20km from the Valley I noticed that my rears were a little spongy out of turns so i pulled over in the middle of nowhere.

Two of my previous puncture repairs had disintegrated, and i'd picked up another hole in the process. I'm guessing the hours of 120kph down the M5 killed the cords in the holes.

Now i'm up for a new rear. _sigh_
  10. No good. Were they the DIY rope type ones or the proper mushroom type plugs?
  11. Yeah, DIY rope types. I never bothered getting the mushroom plugs because the DIY ones have never been a problem.. till now.

Now I can either pay $195 (3x$65) to get them repaired or buy a new tyre at $290. Might as well just get a new tyre.

Damnit, i only just got rid of my chicken strips too :-(
  12. Cool, thanks for clarifying.
  13. Most places (possibly all, but I haven't tested) refuse to do puncture repairs anymore. In a car I don't have an issue with repairs - on a bike I am a bit more touchy as it just takes one repair to disintegrate or fail to wreck your day.