Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Repairable writeoff: fairings

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' at netrider.net.au started by blackjacket, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Hey all,

I'm just fixing up my bike that I bought back from the auctions after the insurer wrote it off. It's all ready to go except that there's a crack in the front fairing, and a 50c-sized hole worn through on the right hand side fairing. (Besides all the ugly scratches) None of these got in the way of installation.

Apart from that, I can't see why they would knock me back for a blue slip, everything's A1. So my question is, will they knock me back for the crack and hole? TBH I just want to be back on the road after so long. Later on I want to order new fairings off eBay, and get these fixed as backups. Buy maybe I have to do that before I can get a blue slip...

Cheers,

bj.

2. Maybe try get it plastic welded for piece of mind at the very least.
    I think there is a chance it may be knocked back as an issue for e.g if it was to fully crack off it would create a bit of mayhem flying off into surrounding cars etc. Cant see any other reason it would be an issue.

3. Will it be fine if you just remove the fairings?

4. I thought it would be fine to street fighter it, but I talked to the mechanic, if it was complied with fairings/screen etc., they must be on there to get blue slip. Apparently they are to protect people from "sharp things". The mechanic said he would have to see the cracks etc. to see if it would pass. Booked in for tomorrow... if I fail the first time, do I pay twice? (forgot to ask him)

5. i dont think u pay twice... you just pay when you pass i believe.

6. yeh you only pay once. if you don't pass the 1st time the mechanic will keep the blue slip until you can bring your bike back and the compliance issues have been addressed.

7. w00t, passed my blue slip!! Ahh it's so good to ride again \\:D/

I think I will have a go at plastic welding my 2-3 inch crack on the weekend so it doesn't spread, maybe clean and touch up my road rash and keep an eye on ebay for some new fairings ^_^