Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Repairable write off??

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by crazynate, Nov 23, 2008.

1. I am currently looking at getting a bike. I have looked at and ridden a few and have nearly made up my mind. The one bike I really am keen on has been a repairable write off and rebuilt professionally and while it looks schmick and is a very loved and cared for bike is it wise to buy a bike with this history?

Also, will insurance want to touch it?

2. i think i have lost count on the number (some recent) threads on this subject.

get a mechanic you trust to check it out. Mainly the frame needs to be straight.

Insurance will insure it if its a repairable write off so check the paper work carefully.

Make sure you don't pay too much for it
  3. I'm repairing a "repairable write-off" at the moment.

The most important thing is that the mechanics and electrics are still fine, and the frame is straight. Even sticking it in neutral and giving it a good run and jumping on it for a short roll will be good enough to make a basic assessment of the straightness of the frame. While sounding a bit silly, you can surprise yourself at just how well this will catch even quite small frame twists as the bike will feel wonky and will typically require pressure on one of the bars to keep it steering straight. Of course perpdendicular bending caused by head-ons won't be caught by this method, but almost always these will be accompanied by bent looking forks and stressed headstems and triple clamps as well, in which case the bike would normally be classified as a statuatory write-off unless the original insurance assessor has been particularly slack.

In any event, most repairable writeoffs will simply be bikes that have taken a slide and suffered cosmetic damage to the front, side, and tail sections of the bike, which is usually enough for most assessors to write a bike off as the cost to replace all those parts as new will typically push the bike over their claim thresh-hold. There may be some minor scratching of the fork legs and/or rashing of the frame or swingarm, which is completely superficial but for as-new insurance purposes warrants a replacement of the part that is what causes the write-off status.

Many repairable write-offs are structurally sound, but just look messy. If you don't trust yourself on what you should be looking out for, take a good mate with good knowledge about bikes, and even get them to haggle for you.
  4. +1 :)

I am fixing my nsr at the moment too, was hit and the insurance said it was a repairable write off. The mech that checked the bike out said it was all fine so i took the money to repair it myself, turned out that it had a small kink in the frame which cost me another 500 to fix, so make sure you get the frame checked out.

5. What are you fixing Stew?, the R1 or do you have a new toy? :)
  6. it's a trumpy :LOL:
  7. The R1 is long gone. jbray here at NR bought it and street-fightered it.

R1 Streetfighter 1

R1 Streetfighter 2

That was about 15 months ago.

I'm presently restoring this thing:

New Project

Will likely move everything from the black bike to this machine, and street-fighter the black bike and basically turn it into a Street Triple RR. :wink:

BTW, there's nothing wrong with my old black one, other than it's starting to get up there in kms, and I just need a second bike to split my ~30,000km annual riding distances between. The suspension needs servicing on it too, and the coolant temp sensor is faulty causing the mixture to run rich (and killing economy) and needs replacing under warranty, and I don't want to be out of action over summer while it's getting attended to.
  8. My last bike had a head-on collision with a car that did a u-turn in front of it. This pretty much snapped the headsteam off with cables being the only thing holding it onto the bike. I was really surprised when I got a letter from Queensland Transport saying that it was classified as a repairable write-off!

Cosmetically it generally didn't look like it suffered more than a drop. Wouldn't have been a nice surprise for the person who brought it at an auction and didn't inspect it close enough and wasn't expecting such frame damage.

9. I found out today that the bike in question was repaired by a mates dad who owns a frame repair business. He has given the bike the thumbs up so that certainly helps the decision.

Now mr bank man...... give me some money!!!
  10. If it's a repaired write off it needs to be cheap enough that it's worth it. I had a Blackbird which was a repaired write off and while it was a great bike I'm thankfull I didn't have to try to sell it...any REV's check will reveal a repairable write off and you will have to discount the bike substantially if you want to get rid of it.

There may be nothing wrong with the bike but you need to go into these things with your eyes wide open...also re: insurance my Blackbird was fine with my insurance company they insured it no worries and payed out the insurance when I wrote it off myself :facepalm:
  11. Holy cow. You'd never know. That looks bloody tops. Have you any idea how much something like that would have cost all up? Cheaper than buying?
  12. if you allow 1k you would be pretty close :wink: remember wrecks normally have bent fork tubes/parts/rims that need replacing then about 500-700 in handlebars/lights, all blingo looking stuff etc i reckon 1k +total not including tests and fees for rwc, thats going of my re-build of the r6 :)
  13. Never realised that it is part of the REVS check..... might give it a miss.

Cheers for the info guys.
  14. So if it wasn't part of the check and when the time came to sell are you suggesting you were going to palm it off as never being in an accident?
  15. No mate, my point is this, if I have to sell it for any reason I don't want to have to firesale it and take a massive hit in the hip pocket.

I thought only stat write offs were in the REVS check. The bike in question is now sold, the seller never mentioned in his ad that it was written off and rebuilt... wonder if it was disclosed to the buyer?
  16. What is involved in a VIV?

do you not need proof that frame is good?

If a bike is repaired well. it doesnt matter that it is a repairable writeoff as long as you got it cheap.

A bike will only be registered as a repairable writeoff if it is an insurance job. Someone might fix it up and it could still be F@$% and not register as a repairable writeoff