Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

NSW Repairable write-off

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by Jashdown, May 24, 2016.

1. This is interesting. I did not know this. It's certainly repairable, just at a large cost, which is why the insurer decided not to.

The bike was owned for over a month.

Are you able to provide a link to where you got this information?

2. #2 Justus, May 24, 2016
    Last edited: May 24, 2016
    Info is in my head. I'll look.

<edit> Written off vehicles

Re-registering a written off vehicle
    Roads and Maritime Services will only consider an application to repair and re-register a written off vehicle in limited circumstances, where there is:
    Do not begin any repairs without authorisation from Roads and Maritime.

Justus.

• Like Like x 2
  3. So what I've got out of this is don't buy a GSXR :p:LOL:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Even then it needs to go through a licensed repairer.

So unless you are the repairer or they are giving you a significant discount you are back to the same financial equation the insurer had int he first place.

5. The only real solution is that someone buys yours and a whacked wreck for the motor and makes 2 from 1 for the track only. It is a stat write off (being in NSW) and therefore not able to be re-registered anywhere in Australia unless by you.

6. Yeah re-registering is next to impossible. A second hand engine with similar kms is about $2500. Dunno if rms will allow the engine to changed to another one.

7. JustusJustus I was involved in an accident and as the result the brake lever was snapped and some cosmetic damage. I took my bike to the shop and they said they will get a quote and get the insurance accessor to inspect it and authorize the repairs. The accessor called and declared the bike as a write off. I called the insurance company and asked if I could tender for the bike and they said yeah but you would not be able to register it in NSW. I think I fit the criteria you mentioned so I am not sure as to why QBE would say that?

8. You've got a misunderstanding of the process. If an insurance company declares it as a write off they have to notify the RMS.

It's up to the eventual new owner to argue special circumstances. It's under the category of Re-registering, not de-registering.

In your case I'd be asking QBE if they've notified the RMS yet and ask them to cancel the claim if they haven't.

Why did you put in an insurance claim if for such small damage?

Do you know what drove up the price? Are you sure there isn't some significant damage you are not aware of?

9. The NSW system is a joke. It was only implemented to try and stop re-birthing cars. Too many perfectly repairable vehicles are deemed statutory write offs.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. That's true, but there were also far too many bikes being sold as "repairable" that had buckled frames and significant but non-obvious damage.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Originally I wasn't going to put in a claim. I got the cost of all the parts

It was just over $600 worth of parts and virtually no labor. Later I noticed that the rear brake lever is bent in but it looked like an easy fix.

I was just going to ask the lady who caused the accident to pay for the parts. She replied and said that she is lodging a claim with her insurance company and I was given an advise to lodge mine.

Once I lodged the claim I was told that I need to pay excess that would be recoverable from the other party insurance company.

I was just going to ask QBE to process the claim and be there for me just in case the other party would try to say that I was at fault as her car was damaged.

Originally I wasn't even going to take the bike to the shop but the accessor insisted as he said if the bike was involved in any sort of collision it has to be thoroughly inspected.

All I asked is to see if they could touch up the tiny scratch on the red paint and if too much trouble I said I am happy to live with it as it was hardly noticeable.

Later I got a call from the accessor who said it is a write off as they found some scratch on the front fork (I didn't even notice it) where I hit the car. I believe it was purely cosmetic but to fix it, they said they needed to replace it at a great cost plus lots of labour. Also some parts weren't even available and the ones that were had a wait of 6-8 weeks so he said it is a write off.

12. I'd say let it go.

13. it all depends on the repairer and the assessor. my bike had a snapped clutch lever, scratched fairing, scratched peg and scuffed mirror, totalling about $1500 in parts plus labour on top of that, but since my engine failed, the repairer gave them a huge quote to repair it. he ended up quoting them $6000 just for the engine repair, which was a huge crock of shit, but the $6k plus $1.5k pushed it over the threshold.

But even then, he straight up told me that he only quoted $6k for the engine because he didn't want to do the work, which is a joke. I ended up buying the wreck from the insurance co. for $1500, i pulled the engine apart and found the damage (about $1800 in parts to get it running like new), i ended up not fixing it because it wasn't worth my time. The repairer actually offered me $2k to buy the bike off me, simply because he knew it wouldn't cost $6k to fix the engine, and he wanted to make a quick buck. I ended up selling the wreck for $3k as is, and told the buyer exactly what the damage was and he was happy with that.

Ultimately, the stat write off laws in NSW are a bit ridiculous, a completely perfect bike (aside from the engine) was written off just because a repairer didn't want to do the work, and the legislation has been created as a knee-jerk reaction to re-birthing.