Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

repairable write off

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by kniever, Jan 7, 2010.

1. a mates got a yzf 600 im thinking of buying off him, the bike has been stacked but not too bad (mainly fairing and lights damage) and it has been classed as a repairable write off.

my question is once it is all fixed what do i have to do to get it back on the road? im in vic if that helps.

2. The VICROADS website has all the info you need. :)
    Getting a repairable write off back on the road is not as easy and cheap as you may think.
    We have a scooter at work at the moment that is going through this process. It is going to end up costing the owner more to get it registered than it would to just go and buy a used scoot. Vicroads have copies of damage quotes from the insurance company, all damage outlined on the quote MUST be fixed, you can't fix bits n pieces, even if it is only cosmetic. Then you have to take all of you receipts for repairs/parts (no ebay parts anymore either) to get VIV inspection(expensive, time consuming and often they reject your repairs/receipts)

Good luck :)
  3. ahh ok, cheers mate, i thought it wouldnt be easy.
  4. yea a bit of a pain in the bum to get them back on the road. Have to make sure it's really worth the time and effort.
  5. And resale chances are slim too, so if you buy it its yours for good. (until you stack it)
  6. Hmmm, things have been tightened up a bit since I bought my R1100RT three years ago. All I ended up doing was changing an indicator lens and a mirror, kicking the fairing straight(ish) so it didn't foul anything and submitting it for a regular roadworthiness inspection, road scars and all. Piece of the proverbial.

Resale value means nothing to me as any vehicle I've owned for more than a year or so is financially worthless. Not that it mattered because it got shunted from under me at 80 km/h and written off again. Mind you, the resulting insurance pay out left me (marginally) ahead of what it had cost me.