Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VIC Repair or wreck (write-off) ?

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by hankster, Aug 6, 2016.

1. So I got hit in a not my fault scenario and have been without a bike for the last 3 weeks or so. I'm keen as to get back on my bike but I only had fire/theft insurance since the value of the bike (2010 VTR 250) is only around $4500.

The repair quote came back at $2800 and I will have to pay it myself then recover the money from the other party. But I'm thinking that after I spend that $2800 on repairs is it gonna be a $4800 bike again? There's tank damage, windscreen, indicators, muffler and a couple of other things.

Am I going to be better off wrecking the bike and putting the money I get from that and insurance towards a new bike? I've been riding since December and part of me wants a bigger bike anyway, the sensible part of me tells me that the VTR 250 is awesome for commuting on and is gonna run for ever (or close!).

Any thoughts on it ?

2. Take the $ and fix it yourself with 2nd hand parts for 1/4 of the cost

3. I thought about that too, but the quote seems really reasonable. The guy's only charging $400 labour, all the rest is parts. $600 is for the tank respray.

I could probably live with the damage to the exhaust, which was $700. It's a stayintune and has only got a couple of minor dents.