Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

repainting wheels.

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by Drew, Nov 24, 2006.

1. the more i look at my bike the more i hate the white wheels

after 3000 odd km s on the highway and country roads they are getting greyer everyday.

Have used degreaser and preasure washers etc but there are still horrible grey stains..... and if i try eny harder i will start to remove the white.

So i've decided to bling them up........when i do my chain replacement..which hould be early in the new year at this stage.
    I plan to strip the white right off and paint them Black. If i can i'll add dark blue rim tapes to match the bikea bit closer.

Fear my sooper skillz with MSpaint :LOL:

Anyone have some suggestions for where to get the rims sprayed or is it as simple as getting a decent can of automotive spay paint and waiting for a fine day? Masking up the tyres/bearings beforehand of course
  2. For ease of cleaning, ruggedness get them done in 2 pack paint.
    Hammertone, applied with a brush looks seriously good on wheels too, and comes in charcoal.

Regards, Andrew.
  3. thats what i thought.... but i'd need to take the tyres off for that wouldn't I?? can always do that i guess

best done at an auto panel shop or are there bike places that do this kind of thing that i'm not aware of yet?? and what do they charge?

and what is hammertone??...... oi google!! get over here!!

this it?? 421??

4. Hammertone is the paint you see on industrial equipment, that has a sort of uneven, mottled finish to it. If you use it on wheels, it gives a sort of hardcore cast metal sort of look I guess.
    Even though you can't see it too well, these wheels are finished in grey Hammertone with polished rims.
    You can buy Hammertone paint at Bunnings in a few various colours, have a look at the can for a photo of the finish.
    Hammertone was developed to be an extremely scratch/chip resistant finish that hid surface imperfections, which makes it great for wheels etc.

Regards, Andrew.
  5. how about powder coating?

I'm afraid painting them yourself will muster results like your MSPaint skills. :LOL:

googled this
  6. wouldn't use those guys in a pink fit..... i went to school with the owners son. Not someone i'd want working on anything of mine.

I beleive powder coating can ruin the temper of the alloy if not done correctly... jd knows more about it....being a metalurgist and all.

and who says my paainting skills aren't good..... they must know me too well :LOL: i know a few panel beaters / car sprayers so i should be able to get something done fairly well.

remembered last night that Dad has some auto spray painting gear so might see what we can cpme up with.
  7. It is possible to get a reasonable finish even with just a standard aerosol can with enough practice. Trying to get a high gloss finish can be tricky - given the effect you're trying to get you'd probably be best going for a matt finish which hides mistakes and any slight surface defects extremely well. Other thing is to make sure you're using a paint designed for aluminium and that the is perfectly clean and free of any oils or grease before painting. Most auto stores now sell paint specifically designed for alloy wheels, though I've never tried them myself so can't comment on their effectiveness.
  8. Okay Drew,

You have pretty much two options if you want them to look good for any decent length of time.

# 1.
    2 pack system that any sort of Auto shop could do for you. Somewhat easier that powder coating, and you can pretty much get any colour you want, and some of the new systems are extremely durable. Single pack systems can look great initally, but are less durable (generally speaking) than 2 packs. You could do the 2 pack yourself with a bit a patience and preparation.

# 2.
    Powder Coating is also a good way of doing it, but bearings, tires and everything else need removed I think. Also very durable, but are a little bit limited by colours (This is getting better) but you really need a powder coater to do this for you.

If not, go half arsed and use some single pack spray laquers and you can get a good effect initially, but it will probably wear/weather/dissolve early.
  9. thanks for tips anf ideas guys.

Project will definately wait till i need to replace the chane and sprockets.... need = with in a few months... but as i'm out of a job this may get postponed for a while.

i'm pretty fluent with a aerosol can but i think the 2 pack paint sounds the best idea for best looks over time.... still needs to look good when i sell the bike... probably do it at dads place..... he's used 2 pack spray before fixing cars etc.
  10. Thanks from me too, I am wanting to change my white wheels too :cool:
    great suggestions. :)
  11. i repaired/glassed up & bogged my front splashguard on my old bike. part of the repair process was to put about 3 coats of paint on it followed by 4 coats of a clear enamel.

When i sold the bike, the coating was still going as strong as the day it cured correctly, and i had put on 25kkm on the bike in the time between the two.