Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Renewed interest

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by Roadblock7, May 13, 2013.

1. Hi there, I have just joined netrider as I have been doing some research and it seems a lot of the answers I have found have been on this site. I have recently made the decision to get back on 2 wheels after about 15 years without a bike after a major accident. In my teens I mainly rode trail bikes, some motor cross and the occasional super bike. Recently my brother in law has bought a HD and my father in law has upgraded his to a new CVO breakout leaving his stunning 105th anniversary superglide up for sale. Tempting but after all those years I never bothered to get my license. I got by with a couple of 'riding unaccompanied' fines from the boys in blue. The penalties are much greater these days and I am (hopefully) a lot more sensible. I am currently looking to get a LAMS cruiser similar to the HD while I do my time before graduating to heavy bike. I have booked in to do the QSAFE course before they get rid of it. I think the Q-Ride course is a great idea for learners but I just want to go do the test. Has anyone done the test recently? I really just want to know what they ask you to do and if they are going to be OK with me doing the test on a cruiser. I have lined up my mate's Hyosung GV650 for the day which I may end up buying as a cheap commuter until graduation.

Does anyone have any recent experience with the QSAFE test?

2. Welcome @Roadblock7

Don't know much about that secret Queensland business I am a southerner myself. I am sure some banana benders ;) will be along soon to answer you.
  3. I'm a banana bender, and did my licence recently, but I did QRide, not QSafe.

To be honest most people do QRide I think - noting too you have to wait 6 months after doing your learners before you can do QSafe. Check your licence still has the endorsement from ages ago.

My understanding is it's the same test but I think you only get one crack at it.

Things like slow-ride, figure 8s, emergency stops, hill starts, brake left, brake right, etc etc. Plus a road test and general bike knowledge (e.g. 'where's the coolant'). If you muck it up I believe you're back to the start. I would strongly suggest getting some practice up first so you don't flub it, and I'd also suggest going for the one-day qride rather than risking having to go to QSafe multiple times (remember, you need to take your own bike, which means a licence holder has to take the bike there, or accompany you). Basically I felt they made QSafe as difficult as possible, logistically, to do - most locations were miles away from me in the leafy western suburbs, anyway. The one day QRide was about $200 or so.

YMMV. My mate hadn't ridden in 20 years, but he had a half-hour warm up and was good to go. Me - I'm coordination-challenged.
  4. Welcome, good luck with your test and subsequent adventures on the road!
  5. You will have to wait 6 months after getting the learners permit to do the Q-Safe test.
    With the Q-Ride course you will immediately go to a license (assumimng you are not a complete klutz) and can then ride unaccompanied. If you feel you already are competent then a one day course will be sufficient ... this will aslo give you a bit of a tune-up of your roadcraft and correction of any bad habits if you have 'em. The Q-safe will not give any input at all on these issues.

The Q-Ride course is not a test ... it is competency based ie you need to be able to display certain skills more than once on the range and complete the road-ride sensibly. It is not like the NSW MOST where points accrue.

Good luck