Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Renaming Files

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by starlet, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Hello,

I receive many files each day that I need to rename and date before uploading which is a tedious task. I have downloaded "rename it" which seems OK but I can't find anywhere that will add the date to it without manually adding it.

Is there such a program that will do it for me..? Does one exist? :?

Thanks in advance,
  2. irfanview will do batch renames and various other cool things but only really to picture files

you could easily run a script (a dos one) that renames the contents of hte directory to have old name + today's date
  3. Isn't the date recorded by the system as the last time the file was modified?

... or does it need to be represented there in the text of the file-name for indexing or just when you're looking back through them?

Presuming they are adjusted to Todays Date, can't you just update that parameter in Rename It of a morning so it adds to the filename [not a 'date' as such that it recognises and pulls from somewhere] just the numbers that mean the date like "080108" ?
  4. Yeah it is but when I upload it you can't see when it was modified so I need it in the file name.... can I do that in Rename it as you have suggested?

Thanks zilly, I'll check that out now.
  5. Well I dunno, I haven't used it. But if it's a batch conversion program, even though there may not be a box to tick that says "Add date to filename" surely you can tell it when renaming that the new name must include 09/01/08 or 090108 ?

And just change that number manually to the correct date each morning.