Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Removing traffic lights to allow for better drivers...?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Thera, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Article Link

interesting read. It sort of makes sense. But can we trust them?

2. Sounds great in theory but large roundabouts and heavily congested intersections tend to be worse blackspots than places with traffic lights.

I would rather a driver be held back by a red light than have it left up to his or her judgement as to how far away I am or how quickly i'm closing in on them.

If anybody remembers the 5 ways in Miranda, you would know of a working example of lights at an intersection benefiting road users.
  3. i have wondered myself sometimes, why i wait when in clear view for a long distance, there is no traffic coming. i guess im worried theres a cop in the rear view :p

when im walking or on a push bike i couldnt care less what the light, except for judging which direction the cars are coming from. i walk anywhere
  4. I have pondered this same idea many times but for different reasons. As an electrical engineer who during uni had to design and program a basic traffic light sequence, i personally think traffic lights in the furture will be 'smarter'.

The current sequences emlpoyed are fail safe and allow for whatever combination of cars to go here and there. However each sequence runs on a pre-determinded time loop.

I beleieve that smart traffic lights would be able to monitor all roads and once a road with a green light is empty (and also safe to do so) it will change the lights to the next flow of traffic on some priority basis such as peak flow or event flow etc.

However this would involve much more accurate and though senors that could monitor all taffic movements (bikes, cars, ped's, pushy's, trucks, ducks etc) and would need to include fail safes.

I don't see this happening for some time. Maybe I could get rich devolping it...
  5. I completely agree with this article. I still see a need for traffic lights in certain area but really it seems like atm where ever they have a road cross another road opps must have lights which is utter bullshit imo.....the other thing i have noticed is that almost all r/h turns now have red arrows all the time gone mostly are the red arrows that disappear...

Guess it doesn't really matter anyway...i mean ford has just released/designed auto parking system, give them another 5 years and you won't need to do a thing other then hope in your steel cage :roll:
  6. I think this article fails to account for the countless sensor lights that plague our roads. Personally I think we should be focusing on improving the sensors opposed to removing all lights.

I'm just about sick of stamping my feet like a teenage girl on the sensor strip just to make the lights go my way! :evil:
  7. but isn't that the point? :?
  8. You beat me to it. :)
  9. I don't mind lights when there are some sort of traffic, but I would like to see more of the flashing orange around 3 in the morning, which basically tells you to approach the intersection carefully
  10. they are an induction loop. That 'square' cut in the road isn't like a lid with the sensor under it, its simply a square 'loop' with a lenght of wire doing laps inside it. It's idea is when metal passes over the top of it, it will create and induction, therefore a voltage which is used by the traffic light computer.

In thoery (don't quote me on the numbers however) if you roll up to that sensor slow enough it won't trigger.

As all this is about magnets and what not, a common solution is to fire your starter motor (kill engine first). This will hopefully produce an EM feild which should do the trick. I've only heard the starter motor trick from a mate before i used to ride (uni days, boring engineer talk). I haven't been stuck at a set of lights long enough to ensure I haven't set it off then test it before a car has arrived.
  11. In my area there appears little point to have traffic lights after about 9pm. Although during the day there is a large amount of traffic at night there is no one around.

More often than not as you are approaching the lights they will turn red, then you wait an eternity for the lights to change to green but you know this will only happen once someone starts approaching on the street you are trying to cross. IE they will not change until they are able to incovenience another motorist.

I smell a conspiracy.
  12. So you dare bring an untested hypothesis to the internet!

You will pay dearly for such an offense.

and yes i feel even sillier now that i know my foot stamping is useless and my traffic raver dance has been in vain.
  13. no it hasn't i'm sure plenty of people were pissing themselves laughing watching you...! :grin:
  14. Coming from the UK, I'm a huge fan of roundabouts as a means of keeping large volumes of traffic flowing reasonably safely.

I'll accept that there is some evidence to indicate that there are more accidents on roundabouts. However, from the UK experience, these tend to be relatively minor glancing bingles with little or no personal injury occurring, whereas, when someone screws up at traffic lights the result is likely to be a high-speed T-bone, which isn't likely to end well for any of the participants.

On a bike, I always found the biggest hazard on roundabouts to be the lakes of diesel left by commercial vehicles. Those outside bus depots were particularly dodgy.

Interestingly, when I was back in the UK 3 years ago, I found that a few really busy roundabouts were now traffic light controlled. however, this was a measure to avoid gridlock congestion rather than a safety issue.

I consider that the Australian obsession with traffic lit crossroads contributes significantly to the road toll.

Of course, for roundabouts to be a benefit, you need drivers who can use 'em........
  15. Debra clearly doesnt live in Sydney
  16. I remember a few years back riding through the city during a total power blackout (ie no traffic lights at all). Strange thing is traffic actually flowed far better than normal, and people were actually slowing down and paying attention to other traffic.
    Unfortunately though I don't think this is the solution. I reckon it'd take all of a week before drivers started simply driving through the intersection flat out assuming everyone else will get out of the way - and just hope the ABS works if someone else is trying the same thing (like they do with roundabouts).
    Most drivers ARE morons, and certainly can't be trusted to think for themselves.
  17. Come to melbourne, go to thomastown, the roundabout on the corner of dalton road and settlement road. :(

For this and that reasons, that roundabout is f*&^ed. Simple round about, standed 'plus +' shaped intersection, 2-3 lanes on each entry. You can be on the front of the grid and still not move for several mints. And that's a bike!! let alone the poor trucks that travel through there that need more time to enter it...
  18. need more of these
  19. Actually, I like this paragraph.

Well, I guess that's it really. If everyone on the road was an unselfish, intelligent citizen capable of making rational decisions...
  20. It’s got to be a combination of both doesn't it, traffic lights have their place and so does roundabouts. What need’s to happen is more sophisticated traffic lights that can better adapt to traffic and in a lot of places, particularly in the suburbs, traffic lights need to be replaced by roundabouts as the research and logic behind not having them seems to make sense.