Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Removing stuck nuts, bolts and screws

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Loz, Aug 20, 2008.

1. After spending much of the morning trying to get my bar-end weights off and nearly destroying the soft metal screws, I thought it would be worth posting this up for anyone who runs into trouble:

Lots of techniques in there.

What worked for my bar-ends? A combination of things:
    - WD-40 around the screw
    - heated up a crap screwdriver on the stovetop, then stuck it in the slot of the screw and left it there for an hour or two
    - Spanner on the end of a stubby screwdriver, twisting while hitting the metal end of the screwdriver with a hammer
    - Approximately one million whacks on an impact driver, one of which finally freed the screw.

Turned out it was threadlocked with that permanent red stuff. It smelled burny when it came out, so I wouldn't be surprised if the heat helped a lot.

2. ???
    Bar ends I just use a strap wrench and screw bit in a Ratchet,

If rusted or stuck ...inox
  3. Loz, the application of heat is the best way to kill Loctite.
    I appreciate that you didn't know of its prescence.
  4. I ran through a bunch of tips the first time I tried to get my bar ends off - in the end dipping them into a boiling hot cup of water works - though maybe the other 49 attempts may have loosened it a bit :LOL: