Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Removing seized '94 ZXR250C fuel assembly

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by sketchie, Feb 19, 2015.

1. Hi All

Whilst attempting to get my bike back on the road, and having successfully fixed what I believe is the issue,
    my '94 ZXR250C fuel cap has seized and won't open. Nw from what I have read there is a security screw that most 'normal people' remove to avoid this problem. Bt, does anyone have a suggestion which will aid in the removal of the fuel cap assembly short of cutting it out (obvious fire risks here) and putting a new one in.

Removing the 8 or so hex screws which hold it in place do nothing because of the security screw under the latch mechanism.

Am I just going to hope a locksmith can get it open somehow, or ???

I have tried WD40ing it to remove it by shooting it down the key hole, should I be thinking more along the lines of a penetrating lubricant spray?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
  2. Key won't turn? Use servisol lithium grease. Available from Jaycar.

Spray into the tumbler and give the key a light coating.

Insert & remove the key a few times, and add more grease, use the key to push it into the tumbler.

Attempt to loosen the lock by wiggling the key back and forth - don't force it. Insert more grease as necessary

You should be able to get the mechanism to loosen up. A few taps with a rubber mallet may help as well.