Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Removing Pillion Pegs [vic]

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by Im Singing In The Rain, May 21, 2010.

1. Hi , I have a CBR1000RR and am modifying it. Is it legal to remove the passenger pegs, I wish to streamline the bikes looks and will never have a pillion. I just don't want to be responsible for them.
    Cheers
    8-[

2. Re: Removing Pillion Pegs

A quick search suggests that if you have a rear seat you need to have the associated pegs. It may be that if the bike was converted to single seat with a cowl then they would not be required but that is very much a guess.

3. Re: Removing Pillion Pegs

You can take them off. You're just not legally allowed to take a pillion without them.

4. Re: Removing Pillion Pegs

pretty sure if you remove the pegs you must destroy the mounts in order to register it. but then, i'm going off 10 yr old QLD law here, could be different down there

5. Re: Removing Pillion Pegs

Sounds like its o.k to remove them

6. Strictly from an official roadworthiness perspective, if you have a passenger seat you MUST have passenger footrests and grabhandle/strap.

If you remove the footpegs you can legally fit a seat cowl. Or remove the rear seat and leave a gaping hole at the back of the bike.