Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VIC removing pillion ability = cheaper rego/insurance?

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by pow3r, Jul 5, 2011.

1. when i was looking at bikes the other day, i saw one which had had the ability to carry a pillion passenger removed, and the seller said it provided cheaper insurance or rego (i forget which, and now can't find the ad)

i figured since i'm on my L's and can't have a pillion until 12 months into my P's then this could be a decent idea.

anyone done this? is it as simple as taking off handles/pillion foot pegs?
    do i need to re register the bike as single seat, like you would if you changed the passenger capacity of a car?

2. I don't know about Vic but there's a single seater rego in QLD which might be where the bike you saw was from.

You pay much cheaper 3rd party which makes rego cheaper
    It's not as simple as removing the pillion pegs and seat.
    You have to also drill out the mounting holes, or weld a plate over them or otherwise make it so you can't just bolt the pegs back on in 5 minutes
    and then get it certified as single capacity only.

then you can get a single seater rego.
  3. No, you can't get single seater rego in vic & I doubt it will affect your insurance either way.
  4. FYI, VicRoads has a website. This forum has a search function. Make use of both.

Cheaper premium? Refer to previous post by MV.