Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Removing Magneto??

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by ZXRpilot, May 21, 2006.

1. [IMG:1024:768:f924075781]http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b168/ZXRpilot87/IMGP3850.jpg[/img:f924075781]

Above is a pic of the part I need removed, its off an 96 gsxr750. I think its called the magneto??If not can someone tell me what so I know what to replace it with.
    Also not sure on how to get it off, undid that big bolt but it doesnt budge.
    Is there something I'm missing when I try to remove it.
    Thanks

2. You may need a pulley similar to a steering wheel pulley to lever it off - it could be held in by a 'key', which would keep it in place on the shaft when turning at high revs etc.

3. A flywheel / magneto puller for motorcycles is a glorified bolt that has been hardened and you have to have the correct size to suit the thread on your bike. Normally costs anywhere between $20 and $100 depending on original or aftermarket.

4. OK, Thanks.
    So if I went into a bike shop to order a new part or if I find somethign on ebay. What exactly do I want to replace? Just the magneto?

5. The tool you need is a rotor puller tool

1 Remove the bolt using a strap style oil filter remover or make a large C spanner with a 6 mm dia pin to stop the Rotor from moving.

The bolt you need could be either m14 / m16 / m18 x 1.5 mm Metric Fine get one from your local bolt bloke screw it in and apply some tension then tap the head of the bolt with a hammer and apply more tension.

You need a rotor for this bike the wreckers should be able to help as the stator windings sit inside the cover and these are normally what burn out leaving you with no sparks.

Thats some damage to it what happened ?????

The magnets are shattered thats very unusual