Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Removing forks

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by warbo, Oct 20, 2007.

1. How hard is it to remove the front forks on a bike? I have a Kawasaki EL250 cruiser and want to remove the front forks so I can get them polished, how difficult is this to do and is there anything i should be careful of?

2. Loosen axle bolts
    Jack up front end
    Remove front wheel and mudguard
    Loosen triple clamps
    Slide out forks

Piece of cake. Use some wood or magazines under the bike when you jack it up, and put somehting under the sidestand t chock that up an inch or two as well.
  3. Loz, what are triple clamps?
  4. easiest way to remove forks

5. :shock:

Er, the things that hold the forks in. I'm not getting a good feeling about this!
  6. neither am I
  7. I think the problem won't be getting the forks off but safely getting them back on.
  8. I think removing the brake calipers might also be a good idea before you go too far :shock: Just unbolt them from the lower sliders & hang them from the bars or somewhere suitable with a piece of string/wire whatever :)
  9. Thanx for the advice guys, I got the forks off safely and they are off to be polished, any advice or hints to when it comes to putting them back on?
  10. Checklist: manual, torque wrench, loctite, rubber mallet, some mechanical common sense?

Go for it, you'll be right.