Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

removing brakes

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by geeth, Jan 18, 2009.

1. Hi,
    With my cleaning of the bike today, I decided that I would check the brake pads and clean some brake dust off them.
    I was able to get the rear and 1 front brake off, but the other front brake wont budge.

Well the 2 bolts holding it on wont. I have put as much force as I could into undoing the bolt (yes I was going the right way) I even destroyed a socket attachment trying.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to loosen this bolt - I don't have any power tools. I was thinking wd40 but I don't want that near the brakeing system.
  2. sounds like your breaks are broken!

If you destroyed a socket trying to remove a bolt it sounds like you only have a cheap socket set? You need to get some quality tools that wont break or get rounded.

Your best bet is a decent socket with a breaker bar or extension bar which would get the bolts off no problem. A breaker bar slips over the handle of your ratchet, extending the handle and gives you a lot of extra leverage.

WD40 wont help much unless you can get it right into the threads of the bolt, which you probably can't do on a brake caliper. There is also proper penetrating oil that is designed to un-seize bolts which works better than WD40.

The other thing that can help is applying heat to the bolt which can help un-stick it, you would need a small propane blowtorch to do this though and you have to be careful not to damage other components, especially the seals in a brake caliper.

Failing that you could ride the bike to a workshop and ask them to loosen the bolts on the brake caliper for you, would only take a couple of minutes for them to do.

If you have damaged/rounded the head of the bolt you will have more problems getting it off, if you do a search on this site there have been plenty of threads on how to remove rounded bolts.
  3. Or maybe borrow an impact socket off someone and give that a try as well.

FYI they are BRAKES as well, not BREAKS.
  4. lol...i thought this thread was about the amputation of a broken limb
  5. Thanks for the replies, the bolt isn't rounded, the top has a slight bit of rounding but bugger all.

The socket set I have was pretty cheap at the time. Will look into getting a better one and the breaker.

Drmat - all fixed just for you.