Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Removing Brake disk, Allen key bolts stuck

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by raiden337, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Hey guys,

I'm trying to remove the brake disk from my Hyosung GT250R rear wheel so that i can transport the wheel safely. The bolts that hold it on are flat with allen key heads, I cannot get enough leverage to undo them and I'm about to strip one of them trying. Can anybody offer some tips on getting each on undone?

There is no rust present, they just seem to be really really tight

2. There's a good chance that they're glued in with the Korean version of Loctite. If so, heat is your friend. If you have, or can borrow, a soldering iron, try applying it to the bolt heads for a few minutes to weaken the bond. If you haven't got access to a soldering iron, a bit of metal rod (anything will do) heated on the stove and quickly transferred to the bolt head (use gloves or a rag) will do the job.

Second tip is an impact driver with a decent quality hex driver on the end of it. There's very little that such a combo won't shift.

Before doing anything, though, make sure that your hex wrench goes all the way to the bottom of the hole. The one problem with allen heads is that they fill up with crap, then the wrench only goes in halfway and rounds the 'ole. Clean it out with a small screwdriver or something.
  3. yeah makes sense... okies will get the iron out tomorrow. thanx m8.
    I'll post tomorrow morning after I've given it a go
  4. get a better set of allen keys.
    Cheap ones get rounded easy.
  5. Yeah It's a good set, I've taken the entire bike to the shop n e way because i need the chain replaced as well. SO thank you all for your help
  6. You could try some Penitrene (the lubricant, not the linament!) soak a little bit overnight, and try again in the morning. In combination with heat maybe, as PatB says.
    Careful that it's clean and dry, and if it still won't, then it's the impact driver rather than brute force.
  7. Yeah, Mate they were stuck in there bad... I think when I go pick up my bike i will ask the mechanics what they would normally do
  8. Tapping the head of the screw works for me sometimes
  9. Soak in WD40,
    Then heat the bolts up.
    Then RATTLE GUN :twisted:
  10. +1
  11. They are called "Hex Head Socket Screws" "Allen" is the manufacturer.

get it right, noobs.
  12. Apparently it's n00bs not noobs, n00b, get it right!

:shock: :p :LOL:
  13. So rog, what do you call the keys that undo said cap screws?
  14. Hex Keys :wink:
    Popular Brands : Allen, unbrako & Cheap chinese shit :p
  15. XD So I'm a tool n00b now huh?
    I can take that i guess. Hex keys it is
  16. I have a proper set of Hex keys. They go onto a 3/8th or 1/2" socket wrench.
    They have not failed me yet.