Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

removing baffles + police attention?

Discussion in 'Cruisers' at netrider.net.au started by philmydang, Mar 15, 2010.

1. I was thinking about removign the baffles from my Honda Shadow but I'm afraid of getting fined or given a defect notice or something. Has anyone had this happen to them?

2. you will get a defect notice if you go too far with the debaffling.

Might be better off getting some after-market slip ons and keep the originals for passing inspections.

If you are insistant on modifying the originals maybe just drill them a bit rather than removing the entire internals. That should draw less attention.

3. Would be expensive to fix once removed, either replace baffle or new pipes and OEM pipes are usually more expensive than others.

4. My observations are that it seems to make no difference. The NSW laws of a few years ago were specifically aimed at giving the police powers to shut down the open-pipe Harley ear-bleeders, but, like most legislation these days, it was ill-conceived and unenforceable, so it was quietly dropped.

Now, any weekend, you can hear the Harley brigade coming and going for miles around and nothing seems to be done about it at all.

Having said that, you'd be just unlucky enough to gut your pipes and then ride around the corner and find a LEO with attitude who'd give you a hard time (and a ticket) for it, so why risk it?

A good, after-market system will be better for the bike, "legal" and sound nicer into the bargain.

5. Does anyone know where i can get a decent/cheap set of slip ons for a vt600 shadow?
    Would my carbs need rejetting afterwards?

6. 1.Google
    2. Most likely

7. MCAS has really cheap items. They don't last long.

Generally yes you will need to rejet