Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Removing a tank protector - any tips?

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by Asura, Nov 25, 2008.

1. My neoprene tank protector is starting to look a bit daggy.

Has anyone got any tips about how to remove it without scratching or otherwise damaging the paint on the tank? I have no idea what it's glued on with - it came with the bike secondhand.
  2. You need to use a hairdryer to soften the adhesive then just pull the tank protector off slowly, if there is sticky residue left over(most likely) then you will need to use either prepsol or wax and grease remover to get it off.

Obviously these products strip the wax off the bike too so it would be a good idea to wax the tank to protect it while you are at it.

3. I can't remember the brand but if you go into woolworths or hardware store, they should have a cleaning product that is made out of orange. That product was able to remove the tar/glue of my boot when I removed the spoiler from my car. It won't damage the paint either...
  4. Are you putting another tank protector on? If so wont realy matter :)
  5. WD40 will get the sticky crap off.
    Park in the sun for a bit on a warm day and forget the hair dryer.
  6. I used a hairdryer to get the old one off then wax and grease remover (from autobarn) to clean the tank so the new one would stick properly.
  7. Thanks, guys... heat and a good cleaner. Got it.
  8. hair dryer and some goo off spray worked well for me :p