Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

{Removed from General} Virago 750

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by SSFC428, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Wondering what the virago 750 is like? I am thinking about buying a 1996 model it is in good condition, can anyone give me their thoughts?

2. viragos are great reliable bikes had 4 of them over the years and the 750 is basically the same as the 1000/1100 models just different internal pistons etc.

They ride very well and about the only issue they ever had which i think was more on the 1100's was the starter motor going. Starter motor fix was only about $100.

Great mileage out of tyres and corner very very well for a cruiser. Easy to deck out for touring and the national cycle windshields make a huge difference on the highway.

Only honest gripes are fuel tank could be a bit bigger, cant remember range i use to get but i do recall wanting a bigger tank. 750 range is better than 1100s thou.

Also i personally found that although sitting on 100 isn't an issue it always felt they forgot to put another gear in the gearbox. I have done over 200,000 kms collectively on the viragos that I have owned so cant be all that bad, and apart from regular servicing only 1 starter motor and tyres/brakes etc.

Cannot recommend enough! :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Thanks alot for that 1600Nomad,going to have a look at it tomorrow

4. How much is it ? heck it must be fairly cheap at that age.

5. anywhere in the 4-6k mark still! As for what by today's standard is getting dated in style they have become a cult bike of sorts after all a model run from 1981 til i think 1996 with very little change is testament to a great design :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. I've had 3 Viragos, (1 x 250 and 2 x 1100's) over the last 5 years, with almost problem free riding (55,000 klms between the 3 of them). Only real problem was with my first 1100 which had sat unused for 20 years and had not been properly prepared for long time storage. Only other issue has been the stator and regulator on my current 1100 (as 1600Nomad has already pointed out, that is more of an 1100 problem.). Viragos hold their value well even now when they are all getting a bit long in the tooth, but reason is that they deserve it. Very comfortable ride with lots of torque, just make sure it has been well looked after (as for any used bike).

7. And this is the most controversial statement i have ever made....

If I could have got another higher gear in the motor and a bigger fuel tank I WOULD STILL HAVE ONE!!! *GASP*

• Like Like x 1
  8. I agree about the higher gear. Even now after Ive had my current 1100 for 3 years and am well and truely in tune with every inch of it, I still often try to change up a gear to find there isnt another one. As for fuel economy, I used to get 250 klms out of a tank, but recently got a new muffler/pipes and its added about another 20 kilometres to the fuel range which I am VERY happy about (not to mention how awesome it now sounds, with the pea shooter pipes it sounded like a sewing machine)....,

9. yes as ametha did point out with bike not been stored properly, better off with one that has been ridden as i made a similar mistake and i think in 2002 i got a 1985 virago 1000 with an original 6000kms on the clock, still had factory tyres. The bike sat so long that the gaskets had gone hard and started leaking within weeks of me riding in daily (Yes first virago in history to leak oil) Once the tyres gaskets were replaced I put 70000kms on her without another issue then upgraded to a 1100 virago :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. if you turn the key and hit the starter button and it starts....its fine

virago 750. can't go wrong.

11. I prefer the look of vstar myself, and if this cult thing is causing the old virago
    to be a similar price to a newer v star , a vstar say 1100 would be a much better
    bike . ( personal choice i suppose ).
    v start 1100 you can sometimes get for around $7000 . ( 2002 ish models )

12. the vstar is definately a more refined design, sadly i took a vstar 1100 for a ride and it had no personality whatsoever and it actually had less power than its predecessor which was really disappointing. Also the virago carved corners so much better than the vstar, they stuffed up the bike and make it for looks over function. I dont know if things have changed and they made it better but the virago to me trumps as a real world bike with character.

Yes very personal choice

13. I owned a 535 and have always liked the Viragos a lot. The problems are summed up here and mirrored all over the net - a starter problem that can be fixed, and the want of a higher gear which is a common complaint on many Japanese cruisers and single or twin tourers prior to the last 15 years. Don't let that get to you - you get used to the revs once you accept that you're not hurting anything (with a shaft drive, you are stuck with the ratios provided). On the highway you become used to them five minutes in. And the characteristic is quite fun when you need to overtake.

Another thing to add is that these bikes, like many other Yamahas of '70s and early '80s design, are very simple and cheap to service and repair. And there are groovy cottage-industry parts for them, such as mono-carb conversion kits etc. If the price is right (and don't pay too much) then it'll be a great bike.

Plus one on the suggestion that a used bike is better than a low km bike that's sat. Ametha, didn't you have a big end bearing go bad from exactly that? If I had to replace or pay for a rebuild on a motor, I'd definitely prefer it be for a Yamaha from that era.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Mattb, you have a great memory! It was the left hand main bearing that went. I rode that bike around for 6 months or so and hubby rode it a few times, he redlined it twice (which I only found out about later!) and we think that was enough for it to give up and die. As I wrote earlier, it had sat for 20 years untouched in a shed so the poor old girl really wasnt ready for any hard riding.... 1600Nomad, thats interesting about the Vstar 1100. Ive been half hearted toying around with the idea of moving across to a Vstar1100 one day (not overly serious tho ;) ) and have been wondering just how they compare. My Virago has never scraped on corners and I regularly ride through tight mountain twisties. (Mt Glorious/Obi Obi etc) love the ground clearance it has.

15. It's called 'vicarious trauma' :)

• Like Like x 1