Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Reminder (to myself and maybe to others)

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by lockie, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Thought I'd post quickly about something I witnessed on a ride on Sunday which acted as a bit of reminder to myself and hopefully might act as a reminder to others too.

On Sunday I was on a group ride (around 50-60 bikes) run by the dealership I got my bike from. Halfway into the ride, on a perfectly straight and open piece of road, one rider decided he needed to be in front myself and another four riders and the 4x4 with caravan that was just in front of us. Unfortunately for the rider, that 4x4 was indicating to turn right off the main road.

It did not end well for the rider (he survived but a number of the 40+ riders behind him who witnessed it did not expect that to be the case when we stopped). Just as unfortunate though was the fact that two young children in the 4x4 had to witness the crash - they were visibly distraught. There was minimal damage to the 4x4 and physically the occupants were ok, but it was not a position they should have been put in. The driver had not been travelling under the speed limit and had indicated well before the turnoff.

The remainder of the group continued on shortly after with staff from the dealer and a few first aid trained riders remaining until an ambulance/paramedic were able to attend the scene.

I guess the point of this is as a reminder (as it was to me) on a number of levels:
    - don't be impatient
    - if you are going to be impatient, be 110% aware of not just whats in front of you, but what's around and beside you
    - think of the consequences, not just to you as the rider but the other people on the roads

Seeing the incident hasn't put me off riding or anything like that because I know what happened was entirely down to the rider's (poor) judgement (I was about 4 bikes back from the 4x4), but it will stick in my memory next time I start to get a bit twitchy behind another vehicle.
    • Like Like x 6
  2. it's one of those things. I always wonder about the worst outcome in those situations, i've seen so many times where if something bad happens, it usually does.
  3. Another Smidsy
  4. Yup, but definitely the reverse of the usual smidsy scenario.
  5. I did something like that myself, when I was 17. Cost me an almost new motorbike and half a kidney.

In my defence, the car at the front of the chain was a 1950s vintage Landrover, it was going slow - (about 40 in a 100 zone), there were about 7 cars behind it, it gradually got slower, there was no indicator, no brake light, no hand out the window, I could see the driver through the door mirror and he wasn't doing anything to indicate he was doing anything other than driving along. 35 ... 30 ... 25 ... Can I see a cross road? A driveway? Anything? Enough of this! I pulled out and nailed it. So of course he turned into his place.

It was an expensive lesson.
  6. I bet - this was an expensive lesson for the rider too. The bike (gsxr 1000) was destroyed to the point of being unidentifiable. Not to mention the healthcare bill and all the other bits and pieces that will come out of this for him.
  7. I got into a similar situation though I wasn't impatient !!! 4x4 and horse float (or horse box as Jeremy Clarkson calls them) doing 30 -40 in a 60 zone. Road ahead was clear so went to go around him, only then did I see the indicator on the 4x4 and not the float. Wasn't an obvious place for a turn but had given myself lots of 'get out of jail' places. Pulled up and politely told him his float indicators weren't working. (Honest I was polite :D)
    Guess it's always expect the unexpected and always have a plan B...C & D
  8. Yea - to be honest I'd been starting to consider making a move on the 4x4, as was the guy in front of me (as far as I could tell from his positioning) as the twisties were coming up. That said, we both saw the indicators come on, and so waiting that extra little bit wasn't a problem.
  9. Impatience is a bikers enemy, and has led a lot of even very good riders to completely abandon their riding prowess and make a stupid move.
  10. Good to find out what happened was trying to figure out how he ended up on that side of the road. Hopefully he pulls through ok and learns his lesson. I have witnessed a few offs this year on the road and one didn't end well, as the OP said, it doesn't put you off riding more so it reminds you of the dangers and keeps you alert.

BTW: My mate and I rode through just after it happened, he was on a Striple and I was on my fighter. Already heaps of people around otherwise would've stopped and helped.
  11. Group rides seem to bring this element out in people. I slowed up behind a couple on a trike at the last toy run I was on. Waited 30 seconds or so for a good overtaking point, head check, indicate, head check and start to pull out when WHOOOOOOOOSH goes a Ducati doing somewhere close to warp speed.

In all sincerity I reckon' he was about 10-20mm from my right mirror when he came past at best. Just impatient and keen to show off. Best safety device on a bike is a clear head.

In the end, I hope all involved are OK. (Rider, and everyone else who had to witness/be involved in that.
  12. I nearly did exactly the same at the weekend except I had already slowed and the driver saw me so I stopped and let him turn right. Didn't see the indicator in the direct sunlight though to be honest I wasn't looking for it as he was in the left lane. Momentarily forgot about the need to take corners really wide when towing. Wake up call for me!
  13. The 4x4 occupants were physically ok, but understandably a bit shaken up. The rider survived, the last update (via the QPS facebook page) was that his injuries were not believed to be life threatening.
  14. That is good news indeed, Lockie.
  15. Being in a serious accident is a terrible experience. (obviously)
    Being a witness to a serious accident, has it's own horrors.

Sure...you're not the victim, but it's still very traumatic.

Serious accidents really are a horror story for everyone involved.

I recall a specific time where I got myself into serious, deadly strife, not running wide, but misjudging the correct turn in point, which meant I was gonna be wide. VERY wide, with just inches of road left on the far lane, at very high speed through a left-hander, scraping the pegs on the , in fact.

Had I run out of surface, I'd have been into the trees in a very gruesome fatal crash, right in front of a good bloke, who would have been forced to witness every gory detail.

I made it, got back onto the correct side of the road, and got back into it.
    At the next stop, I apologised seriously to the poor guy, for what I could have put him through, and I pulled my head in a bit for the rest of the day.

I'm just saying', like the OP is talking about, accidents can effect more than just those immediately involved.